Magnolia, by J.J. Cale 1971

John Weldon “J. J.” Cale (December 5, 1938 – July 26, 2013) was an American guitarist, singer, songwriter and sound engineer. Though he avoided the limelight, his influence as a musical artist has been acknowledged by figures such as Mark Knopfler, Neil Young, Waylon Jennings, and Eric Clapton, who described him as “one of the most important artists in the history of rock”. He is one of the originators of the Tulsa sound, a loose genre drawing on blues, rockabilly, country, and jazz.

This song is dedicated to all guitar players and songwriters.
A song as simple as this is pure beauty and truly majestic.

Hope, Peace and Love to all peoples.

I love me some JJ Cale! This one is right up there with “Sittin’ On the Dock of the Bay” (obviously not by him) in terms of all-time favs. Fantastic cover Rene! I love the laid back feel, and your vocals are a perfect fit for it. Have you checked out John Mayer’s version of it?

1 Like

Rene, good song choice once again my friend!

I did notice your track could use some de essing. There’s quite a bit of S sounds and such throughout the track.

Also, those guitar string slides are crazy loud in this mellow song. Have you a guitar that has flatwound strings?
Maybe you can try it again with these two inclusions being worked out. I hope so, cuz i love me some JJ Cale broh!

Thanks.

1 Like

Always great pleasure to hear your comments, my friend.
I will remember to use my softer guitars for mellow songs like this .
I tried my Taylor 914ce on this tune, and it is quite slideynoisy.
Thanks studio!!!
Rene

1 Like

Hi holster,
John Mayer is so cool.
I had the chance of watching him “live” with my whole family, and we just love him.
This version is an adorable and a version straight pop close to JJ Cale’s rendition.
Thank you for this version.
Respectfully,
Rene