Lullaby for the Evening News - inspired by the MSM and the NMSM

All the discussion about the news inspired this song. It has been so doom and gloomy for so long, and nowadays so polarizing it made me think about a song to soothe our worried minds before bed.

I consider this a social song. It is so simple, but I can’t place having heard it before.

G G C G D D D D

C G D D D D D D

C G D D D D D D

C C G G D D D D

C C G G Em Em Em Em

C C G G Em Em C C

C C Am Am D D D D

Lullaby for the Evening News by Steve Bancroft

When I turn you on I hope for
Something good in the world these days
Just one small thing to bring about
A little smile upon my face

Is it just too much to ask for
I suppose that is the case
For peace and love we have lived without
So long there’s hardly any trace

And the cycle relentlessly continues
In a pattern of self abuse
And winding down is what I can use
With a lullaby for the evening news
Lullaby for the evening news

You explain away the confusing details
You soothe my worried mind for a while
You take me down lovely mountain trails
Before mentioning the bloody entrails

For that I should be relieved, I guess
Not leaving me deceived, I confess
Is better than not knowing about them
Yet some memories, oh I could live without them

To clear the mind of unpleasant sights

And bedtime beckons on its heels
Fodder for nightmares and restless nights
Mostly forgotten once I close my eyes
With thoughts in motion like spinning wheels

Perhaps a late night talk show host
Will wash away the day’s distractions
Perhaps a silly monologue
Will help me sleep just like a log

And clear the mind of maddening frights

1 Like

This has an uplifting feel.

I wonder if the lyrics/ vocals were given a bit more space between phrases, to give the voice a bit of time to breathe , maybe it would benefit the listener. The singing is quite constant and unrelenting. The music has a nice feel, so I’d like to see that shine through between some of your vocal phrasing. I think the song could really shine if you added a chorus, especially if that chorus was really big and different from the verse.

Lots of potential in this. Good job, Steve. :+1:

Thank you for your insightful suggestions, Wicked! I think I was trying to sound a little relentless, to reflect the way we get worked up by the media and news as entertainment stirs the pots. It does have a long chord progression, no chorus, aside from the lullaby refrain. I often do not have a chorus in mind with a song, and often that’s what a collaborator will provide that I cannot, and after it seems so natural I almost forget I had nothing to do with it!

I’m with wicked on this @steban , it’s all pretty well done and as usual the lyrics are great but it all runs together musically without some variation. The standard chorus/bridge structure would work but some different instruments here and there would help or maybe just a quiet interlude or two?

steban,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your song: Vocals sound similar to Pink Floyd and a bit like Ray Davies; fine by me! Nice old piano! Reminds me somewhat of a honky-tonk piano vinyl album that my grandparents gave me about 50 years ago, and the record was probably a lot older than me. Instrumentally, it reminds me of The Kinks somewhat, as far as rock bands go. Cool song, I like it!