Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Lennon McCartney Beatles 1967

“Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” is a song by the English rock band the Beatles from their 1967 album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. It was written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

Lennon’s son Julian inspired the song with a nursery school drawing that he called “Lucy – in the sky with diamonds”.
Shortly before the album’s release, speculation arose that the first letter of each of the nouns in the title intentionally spelled “LSD”. Lennon repeatedly denied that he had intended it as a drug song, and attributed the song’s fantastical imagery to his reading of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland books.

This song id dedicated to my wonderful and beautiful sister, Ruby Del Rosario, and to her who family. This song also goes to her loving life-partner, Armin, a successful banker, Civil Engineer, and Home Builder.
Happy Birthday, Ruby!!!
Ruby In The Sky With Diamonds!
We love you!!!

Feedback much appreciated

2 Likes

Did you call her “loopy”??? Ruby? Roofy? sounded like it. This is a very ambitious undertaking. It’s funny because this is the first song I always sing in a medley with (yesterday-imagine -eight days a week) never do the chorus tho. And the only time I ever considered doing a video like you do. go figure.
I like when that Bb comes in. ha ha I might try this again tuned down a few.
This was a fun listen. Brings back old times but not the drugs. ha ha

1 Like

Nice one Rene! I like the fragility in your vocal. I might have suggested singing the chorus in full voice, but it might be difficult for your setup to handle the dynamics and extra volume level. Cool!
… I once saw The Verve Pipe do a live cover of this track that I thought really did it justice.

Aww… c’mon Paul… I thought you were a teacher!.. I’m hoping you didn’t teach reading comprehension :rofl:

2 Likes

The Beatles songs can really be a linked medley, and so timeless!!!
Yeah, my sister’s birthday, and wanted to have her name on the song!
As always, love your wonderful comments, Paul!!!
Thank you, my friend!!!
Rene

1 Like

Hi CRS,
Love this post! directed to our beloved teachers!
Thanks for the fragility comment, love it!!!
I will have to check out The VervePipe version.
Thanks again!!!
Rene

1 Like

I saw them here in Brisbane at a promotional shopping centre gig (believe it or not!)… but I managed to find this video of their version. The audio is pretty distorted, but the performance shines through:

2 Likes

This is truly a magnificent version, and lovely vocals.
I am in love with this recording!!!
Rene

A Ruby is a precious gem, you’re lucky to have one in your life. :wink: As always, your acoustic version gives a unique take on a classic. The ‘beret’ was an interesting change from the ‘business’ (?) hat, I like it!

1 Like

Ruby is truly a beautiful soul.
Love my dearest sister!!!
Thanks for noticing the beret!
And love your feedback!
With respect,
Rene

1 Like

I don’t know who these “beatle” chaps are, but it sounds like they write decent songs. Hopefully they’ll make it big some day.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Great cover @ReneAsologuitar!!

2 Likes

You are so awesome, @holster !!!
I had another fun gig in our local Senior Center, and I had a few Beatles songs, and America, and also James Taylor.
Fun time.
And thanks for the great words!!!
Rene

I quite enjoyed this one, Rene! I am a Beatles fan, my first ever purchased albums as a child included Sgt Peppers and Revolver. And as much as I believe his story, I also believe the coincidence was not unnoticed, and likely the guiding inspiration in its lyrics and music.

Oh, and finally too cold for Hawaiian shirts!

1 Like

I love the Beatles as well.
I think my book of songs with lyrics and chords might have covered all of their song, or mostly.
I am so thankful for the music and stories they shared with our world.
Great to know about your album purchase, and as a child to boot.
Stay well, my friend!!!
Rene

Rene,
Thanks for the reviews! Now your recording: of course Elton John had a hit with his version of this song too. Was curious how your version would turn out, with this classic song. Very nice guitar per usual. You’re hitting those high note vocals well too, along with all of the other vocals. Nice recording! Definitely has a different vibe than the Beatles and Elton’s versions. It’s all good! :slight_smile:

1 Like