Loudness Penalty -Free online dB measuring music (YouTube, Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, iTunes)

Loudness Penalty -Free online dB measuring music (YouTube, Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, iTunes)
0.0 0

http://www.loudnesspenalty.com

Seems like a useful site for music creators who want to post their music online. Good to have this in the arsenal.

It could definitely be helpful. I tried a file on there earlier that I had measured at 8-9 LUFS, and the feedback it gave looked about right per the specs.

I’m not convinced. I have tested a number of tracks, all mastered to -10 LUFS, yet the readings from the loudness penalty site vary widely between each track. Although most services do not use the BS 1770 algorithm to measure loudness, I would still expect whatever they are using to be consistently pro-rata to the LUFS value, therefore I can only conclude that the loudness penalty site’s own algo is suspect.

I think it’s a nice idea.

But I think it’s ultimately best if people aim for whatever loudness they think suits the song best.

I was feeling very clever a few months ago because I DIY mastered a song so it’d pretty much hit the Youtube LUFS target and I thought I’d won the game because my new video single would be more punchy with transients and dynamics than most other stuff.

A couple of people suggested to me that it was a bit too dynamic, and they were having to adjust volumes as it went into the loud choruses. So, making it less dynamic would have been better. Doh!