Listen To The Rain - please bash

Okay, here you go. Tell him I said is timing was impeccable! It was spot-on-perfect!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I changed the EQ as well as the compression on the M2 version, but itā€™s really a dB here and there in amongst all the tiniest bits of compression/ saturation several times over.

Just doing multiple REALLY small things to bring it out and feel ā€˜wider openā€™.

Im really trying hard NOT to change it an awful lot :slight_smile:

I didnt really pay attention to the final level, just set it not to clip or sound too loudā€¦

1 Like

Haha! No worries! That IS a compliment for sure! :grin:

ā€¦and?? So what were your EQ moves? What did you use for saturation? Multiple instances of the Waves M2? You DID say to ask. :slightly_smiling_face:

I love the singing and the lyrics - got a Tom Petty feel, hasnā€™t it?
However, thereā€™s more ā€œlifeā€ required in the vox deliveryā€¦
At the moment, it sounds as if youā€™re reading from a ā€œlyrics sheetā€ to see if it all fits, which is fair dinkum.
We do that during the design phaseā€¦
For the recording, you need to sing as if your life depended on it. Or as if ā€œherā€ life depended on it.
Imagine youā€™re singing to a blow-up sex doll, and if you do it lively enough she will ā€œcome aliveā€ and whisk you away. This can be a really good tune if sung with conviction.

Everybody who hears this tune know itā€™s a true storyā€¦

Sven

1 Like

I did?

What I meant was that I would process your wave file for you too if you wanted. :wink:

I basically just do stuff with odd little free plugins that sound cool or vibey, usually modelled after vintage gear, but you could probably do this on an ā€˜omni channelā€™ or something like that if you wanted.

I would have bought it myself, but it was $27, lol.

I like old pulteqs and the like where you can boost and cut the same frequency, but it turns out better. Sometimes I just plug it in without it doing much of anything at all. When you ā€˜muteā€™ each process, you should barely hear a difference, Iā€™m sure I can barely hear 50Hz to15kHz, never mind 40Hz or 20kHz.

The Eq is mainly a tilt @ 350Hz ish, a 1dB boost at 40 Hz and 1.5dB boost @ 60Hz, a 1dB boost @ 2.5kHz (twice) and a cut at 1kHz and a 4dB boost @ 20kHz. Hi and lo passed @ 40Hz and 20kHz, plus a touch of ambience for size. I also had a cut lined up for 250Hz that I may have used originally, but the gain is back at zero on the second mix (M2).

I have been re-inventing my mix technique towards a more open and wide CLA style of mixing, so this is just an extension of that mindset. Im sure his plugins, for example, would give you a similar thing as they are modeled on vintage analog/tube gear.

1 Like

Love that Tom P song!

I agree with this. I think this is one of the short-comings of virtual collaboration. You 're not able to give immediate feedback during takes etc. Thanks for the input!

OK, I guess you didnā€™t. But thanks anyway! :grin: Youā€™re definitely on to something there. It sounds great.

1 Like

This new version is definitely an improvement on the entirety of the song. @StylesBitchleyā€™s guitar is a seamless addition, and I think the mix is getting pretty big, too. Almost everything sounds way above required. It is true your vocals lean toward Ian Curtis away from Flock of Seagulls, a little less pitch perfect, but you deliver with sufficient emotion most of the time and acceptable. It is a mellow song!

1 Like

Steve, many thanks for the compliments - however, I am not the singer. :grinning:

I sincerely do appreciate your input and will pass it along.

Not really a lot of process for me, other than trying to feel where the song was going and playing as if the guitar and the vocalist were having a conversation.
I played a 71 Les Paul Custom through a Marshall DSL-40 C, with a Sony condenser mic about 3" off the cone, and some reverb on the amp. Other than that, I left the processing up to miked, and concentrated on playing with the feeling the song gave me. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks Bob!

So, I actually did two ā€˜masteringā€™ mixes of the MP3 (yeah, I know)ā€¦ in case that info got lost somewhere.

Original mix

M1 mastered version

and the M2 mastered version

So did anybody have a preference? M2 had less compression, slightly more low mid EQ, maybe, and some ambience added (like you can even hear thatā€¦).

MikeD, SB, Tesgin, Steve, CRS?

Anyone, feel free to comment. Iā€™m half arsing mastering here, need feedback :slight_smile:

Well Vaughan, first off, since this forum only accepts MP3 I only exported an MP3 of this mix. But I am planning on revisiting and will sure send you a .WAV file - if you still want to try out some processing on it. Secondly, also in your favor, I pushed the level to just barely any sort of limiting on the mix bus and added about 4-5 dB of gain to the ā€œfinalā€ mix. So without that final limiter, in there, you can have another 4-5 dB of headroom to play with. And Iā€™ll be SUPER interested to hear that one!

As for preference, I definitely prefer the M1 version. Itā€™s got a really sweet clarity to it and is nicely glued. I donā€™t care for M2 - I think I am hearing some high end distortion/artifacts and a general crispiness that I donā€™t care for. Definitely M1 for me! And, BTW, M1 is really really nice! :+1:

Cool, thanks Mike, so based on that comment Iā€™m gonna do you a 'super smoky in a dark live club mix" kinda vibe, just to see how that works outā€¦ Im essentially a live concert recording engineer at heart anyway, so Im gonna see if i still can recreate that thing :slight_smile:

Be right backā€¦

Thatā€™s right down my alley!

ok , its a bit subtle, but let me know if Im getting there.

we will call this Mikeā€™s M3 version

So for me, a quick comparison (Iā€™ll listen again tomorrow when Iā€™m not tired and my ears arenā€™t shot) but I definitely prefer the M1 version. Iā€™ll hold my comments though until I can listen tomorrow with fresh ears and do some blind tests with MCompare. Right now though, all I can hear is how I want to pull the vocal back. Thanks for doing this!

BTWā€¦

Anybody in the community can chime in or contribute to this adlib ā€˜rough masteringā€™ of a ā€˜bash thisā€™ mp3 mix, as it hopefully gives a more positive direction to where the mix might go or finally end up, so you can focus on what may still need to be done in a particular mixā€¦ or not.

Hopefully its not derailing the conversation, but rather helping the mixer see out his/her vision, just in a slightly more creative way.

I dunno, but it certainly helps me to work on various peoples material over a very short space of time and get their feedback right awayā€¦ so Im not stuck in my own little box, either.

@holster - feel free to comment or PM me on what Iā€™m doing here. Iā€™m literally making it up as I go along.

best to all,

Vaughan

that double post thing was irritating me, so I did another master of the original mix, with less compressionā€¦ but not bright.

ā€¦behold mix M4

1 Like

Hey, Iā€™m late on this so thereā€™s not much to say, I guess. Anyway I loved the mix right from the start, sounded clear and pleasant, it serves the song well. Only details I noticed were some very minor timing discrepancies on the drums and a few vocal notes that were unclear in the lows. Not off, but it was just difficult to make out which note was sung.

Great song!

1 Like

Thanks for the listen and the input! I really appreciate it.