Leaving my studio for the winter....started a track I cant finish

Sorry for the mischievous content. See ya in the spring

Paul

2 Likes

Very cool vibe, @feaker !!!
Guitar is so nice, and the drums are perfect.
The melody is so hip, and the guitar solo is lovely.
I love this recording.

1 Like

Haha, sounds like you’ve has discovered compression!..Catchy little idea!

I couldn’t make out much of what the lyrics were saying, as there is a lot of mud buildup in the track, so I decided to see if I could do a little tweaking to make things clearer…

If you can reduce that mud buildup in the 200-300hz range on individual elements, it will unmask a lot of stuff. High passing your guitars more aggressively will make a HUGE difference too… and finally adding some high mid boost to the guitars and the vocals will help them pop out a bit too.

I’m guessing you’re using some kind of compression on this mix, as I can hear a lot of compression “pumping” that I’ve never heard before in your stuff. When that is happening, the solution is often to slow the attack, speed up the release, and just generally reduce the amount of gain reduction happening. Getting rid of unwanted too much low end and too much mud in the low mids will help, because the compressor reacts to whatever is generating the most energy in the mix, an that is most often low end.

In any case, I couldn’t change the pumping, but I think I got things to be a little clearer.

Here’s my effort to butcher things (There is more distortion than I would like, but hey! It’s a compromise):

[quote=“ColdRoomStudio, post:3, topic:6431”]
Haha, sounds like you’ve has discovered compression!..Catchy little idea!

I couldn’t make out much of what the lyrics were saying, as there is a lot of mud buildup in the track, so I decided to see if I could do a little tweaking to make things clearer…

Hi Andy Always a big time treat when you comment on my tracks. Good send off to Texas
Yes I tried some compression for the first time. I did cheat and used one that said rock electric. ha ha
The guitars are kinda reckless with clicks and off beats. I sometimes will take an 8 count section that sounds decent and just duplicate it. Not this time. I also put very little stank on the lead guitar stuff, but I said screw it and grabbed one that said major tom sound. Way too much overkill. I sang two different verse flavors. One regular and one with a smart ass attitude. almost talking. tmi I know
I also could not hear the vox very well, and because it was not very nice, I didn’t care too much. I didn’t exactly know why. The compression pumping makes sense.
I could hear the lyrics way better after you messed with the track. I can actually see the build up in that 2-300 range you were talking about. i tried manually lowering those areas and it sounded like the life was take out of it. I guess it is second nature with you now to find and fix those problems.
I won’t be able to work on this in Texas and hope somebody else would run with it. Extramarital affairs isn’t a great topic, but out there big time nonetheless. Sometime i would like to see what your do with your guitar tracks before and after recording to tame these areas. I know youtube might have it, but your stuff is pretty tight etc.
Thanks for taking this much time for the help. I will be on the site for the next four plus months, but not as much hands on. merry Christmas and have a great and melodious new year.

1 Like

feaker,
Closest I’ve heard your vocals sounding a bit like Billy Gibbons. I think you should complete it if and when you can. Sounds quite good so far.

1 Like