Kinky personality (a retrospective)

ran out of tim…

0 voters

Dude! I had a similar idea with echoing the background vox! You did a cooler version of it than I’ve had going though. I’m listening from my phone, so I can’t give it a fair bashing. I just thought I’d point out that great minds think alike :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What are the lurics for this song?

@cptfiasco Success Achieved! 10/10

Thanks,… funny how hearing goes, I hear 10 issues that I still needed to tweek. Ha! Thanks again for the listen.

1 Like

Did you masturbate while mixing?

Sometimes we cannot help our perversions!

2 Likes

Listening on monitors…Around 2:13 there’s a drop in overall volume. I would sea into that.

Yea, I should have done it more subtle, I could not force myself to write anymore automation lines …ahhh!

1 Like

Nice edit, now I look really sick ha! I could change it , but no you felt compelled to do this.

1 Like

ok… since Im new here and dont know y´all that well, but to me it sound like you mixed this, then rerecorded the mix, with a mic back in to DAW. Not really my cup of tea for this genre sry.

1 Like

As usual an interesting perspective on this song. A really good use of the delays on the vocal. I think the biggest critic i would have is i want that volume change to come earlier and some dry vocal mixed in just to give the vocal a little more weight. Thanks for sharing.

This feels tiny after I’ve listened to other mixes, I guess it’s not mastered?
The mix is very wet and sounds VERY bright to me, missing a lot of low end, then the volume change I suppose is about giving some unexpected boost? Not entirely convincing, I’m afraid…
Different though, of course! :wink: Good luck!

@ptalbot , here is the unkinkied version made loud ha!

Sounding better, although I’m still missing some beefy low-end on this (and now I’m waiting for an elephant sound on your next one ;)).
Seriously though, what kind of monitoring do you use? It looks like you’re listening through rather some dark monitors or headphones and are overly compensating the high end, which makes it quite harsh.

1 Like

tried using these new ear buds and the Bluetooth speaker, but yes it is way too bright. I think it was from mixing way too low in volume. right now I just do not have the time or the desire to dive any further into this song. The 5 hrs. on and off is really what I want to invest. Though I want to sort the monitoring thing out for my own shit. thanks again for your time.

2 Likes

This is my first mix contest critique, and I knew from the title it was @cptfiasco. There is something to be said for a trademark or stamp/signature. Your mixes always seem like they are done from a submarine or orbital vehicle, but I enjoy the irreverence and originality from which they emerge. You are the Kurt Cobain of mixing. Someday you should be lucky enough to enjoy great commercial success (which you DID NOT wish upon yourself) and then commit suicide by shotgun in a bathtub while your “soul mate” rock star wife takes your fortune and converts it into synthetic opiate addiction and publicly expressed ineptitude. Not wishing those things upon you, only considering that you might find them a virtual badge of honor. :blush:

Rock the Casbah!

Ha! Thanks for the listen. I do have my trademark stank . I think if I did this to a bands’ mix (for real)… I may get the shotgun treatment! unless they are full-blown audio perverts themselves. Thank you stan , for your time!

I think it’s very over-equalized and sounds much like it was done “in the box”. It’s pretty narrow, I’d encourage you to explore the stereo field more. The midrange is missing from the mix almost entirely, it sounds like it’s heavy handed around 300-400 Hz, I’d encourage you to get a fair balance by removing all the EQ choices you made and then listening to it dry. Make decisions again, it helps you get perspective. If you’re used to hearing it one way, you’re going to want to do more and more of that, it’s best to avoid that if at all possible. Try to imagine what the band would sound like if you were in the room with them, would you hear a mix like this live? Remember, less is more.

Cheers,
Doubletrackinjive

1 Like

Not sure if I care what the band thinks, this is my mangled picture I painted with their color donations, that is all. Thanks for the listen.