Just realised I never introduced myself, how rude!

Hello!

So I found this forum in a random google search a couple of weeks back and was surprised to find that

a; it appeared to be just starting up and

b; the posters seemed quite nice and civil.

Given that a few of the recording/production forums I like have kind of died in the last few years, this was a nice discovery!

It’s nice when you actually know who’s posting, it’s one of the things I hate about big forums that it’s all anonymous and you never know who to trust/ respect/ listen to.

So let me say this here; don’t trust, respect or listen to me. I’m not a pro, I’m not an expert, I’m a fool who loves recording, production and mixing and wishes he was much better at it all.:blush:

My Name is Josh, I’m 31, I live in Birmingham in the UK with my wife and I’m in an alt rock band called Captain Horizon. I play guitar, drums, I try to sing, and I write songs. My band’s biggest claims to fame are that we’ve supported Electric 6 and released an album on a label who also work with Blaze Bayley of Wolfsbane and Iron Maiden semi-fame. We also released an album and three EPs ourselves.

I did a music technology degree and it’s been a passion of mine but never a career so far, mainly because out of uni I got a job that pays money with which I got used to being able to afford things like food, a car and a house to live in. So though music creation is my passion I’m in the unfortunate situation that it’s not my livelihood. That said, I spend most evenings and weekends at my band’s rented rehearsal studio working on music, and last year I produced an album for an Italian songwriter which was a great experience and a lot of fun.

Just now I’m finishing the mixing for a solo album that kind of arrived out of nowhere - a year ago I accidentally wrote about 20 songs in the space of two weeks and felt like I wanted to turn them into an album, not exactly a proggy concept album but kinda themed on the refugee crisis that has blown up over the last few years.

I record and mix all my own band’s stuff and we’ve done some videos over the years, I feel like I’ve done so much mixing over the last year that I’ve got a bit better but I’ll post these because it’s not fair that I reply to all these posts in anonymity!

4 Likes

Hi Josh, great intro enjoy the forum its a great place with nice bods.

1 Like

Can you teach me how to accidentally write 20 songs? lol

But seriously, welcome aboard.

3 Likes

Hey Josh, awesome intro - excellent music too! Sounds great! Since you recorded and mixed it, its clear that you obviously know your stuff.

Many of us here have come from a site called RecordingReview.com. The site’s owner decided to dip out of recording about a year and a half ago, and just kind of disappeared into the ether. The site kept going for quite a while, but recently, without the owner’s input things gradually stopped working, so most of the regular forum contributors kind of collectively decided to “jump ship” before it went down completely and got eaten up by viruses and spam-bots.

Nevertheless, it’s great to welcome aboard new faces with fresh enthusiasm for all things audio and music!

1 Like

I think if I tried to work out how I did it, I wouldn’t be able to do it any more. :flushed:

Of course, I haven’t made any claim that they aren’t terrible… :grin:

1 Like

Welcome (again) Josh! What a great intro. I’m off to work here shortly so I’ll listen to your clips this evening, but I really enjoyed reading your intro and I look forward to getting to know you as part of this group! As one of the many refugees from RecordingReview, I am so happy that we have successfully avoided oblivion as that old site teetered and crumbled…

Cheers!

1 Like

Great to have you join us Josh. well done on the videos.

Welcome @Cirrus ! You get the well worn red carpet introduction…ha!

Cool stuff! Glad to have you around. :smiley:

Welcome Cirrus - another very much non-pro and RR refugee here.

By the way, love the name Captain Horizon :grinning:

Welcome Cirrus,
That was an intro for the ages. :barber:

1 Like

Great intro! Crazy timing too! It’s already been great having you around. Thanks for settling right in and joining the fun. Looking forward to hearing more great stuff from you. Loving your music already!!

Welcome, cool to see someone who’s being pretty productive! Nicely done - from the performances and mixes to the videos it all feels pretty good, too.

Hey Cirrus - just to add, I listened to the band since: great stuff!

Hi Josh,
some great sounds in those clips - cool to have you here!

:sunglasses:

Looks like you know what you are doing! :wink:
Great to have you here Josh!