It's time I got my feet wet

Most of what I do is acoustic and I record that way. very little on sound enhancements, basic comprehension throughout, reverb and mono delay on main vocal, reverb on guitar. I normally double mic vocals and guitar, everything else done in the box - bass, piano. before even uploading I realized some timing issues near the beginning soo. I would appreciate your input so I can better this recording and performance.
Thanks

1 Like

nice fingerpicking

to my ear its all leaning a bit left

nice mellow vibe, sort of a cross between Harry Chapin and Jefferson Airplane

main thing that stoood out to me was that the bass seemed to be way off timing at certain spots in the intro, but ok at others.It was falling waaaay behind the beat like mainly around :24 to :37.

I might have added some background vocals maybe way off in the distance/reverby when that end vocal comes in at 4:22 to the end. Maybe similar to what u did at 1:53ish etc

Peace, JJ

Hey Daniel - sounding good - Iā€™m only listening on cheap speakers at work, but Iā€™d like to have a listen on my studio system when I get homeā€¦

Initial thoughts are that I was yearning to hear a little subtle high frequency percussion (eg shaker) to move the groove along, as well as provide a bit of a rhythmic ā€œanchorā€ for the other elements to circle around as the song develops.

Hi kin Liked the acoustic. Yes, the bass is a little late in a few spots. Liked the vox, but this track could stand alone as well. The vox is also slighty hot. Like the vibrato you put in it. Thanks for posting.

Sincerely

Paul

@Jon-Jon,[quote=ā€œJon-Jon, post:2, topic:1660ā€]
I might have added some background vocals maybe way off in the distance/reverby when that end vocal comes in at 4:22 to the end. Maybe similar to what u did at 1:53ish etc
[/quote]

I went in and warped some of the timing issues - the vocals were off mostly, the bass was OK, sounds a little better now, I looked at the levels - I must be going about this backwards the levels were slightly more to the right,( OH so thatā€™s what the L & R are for on the headphones) I think I was able to even that out. Weā€™ll see when I up load again with the improvements. I rehearsed some vocals for the background vocals you suggested for the end of the song, sounds interesting. I had not thought of that, good idea, Iā€™ll give it a try - thanks
My interface is shorted out, I have to replace it. Iā€™ve been putting some coin away, a couple - three weeks hopefully. Itā€™s too bad their not repairable. I hate to loose it.

@ColdRoomStudio[quote=ā€œColdRoomStudio, post:3, topic:1660ā€]
Initial thoughts are that I was yearning to hear a little subtle high frequency percussion (eg shaker) to move the groove along, as well as provide a bit of a rhythmic ā€œanchorā€ for the other elements to circle around as the song develops.
[/quote]

Yeah! Andrew your making me think here, The percussion would have to change up here and there so as not to be boring. long stroke sound, maybe a couple of other percussion sounds to give that section more body. Iā€™ll open up the GM brush kit and see what can be put together, I donā€™t have much of anything else - I could spend some time and research the sound library in Cubase over the weekend. OK good.

@feaker[quote=ā€œfeaker, post:4, topic:1660ā€]
this track could stand alone as well. The vox is also slighty hot.
[/quote]

Hi Paul, Iā€™m glad you mentioned that. I cut back a little on the reverb and the delay to lower the presence of the vocal, It helps from what Iā€™ve heard.
Iā€™ll wait a bit before I upload the song again with the suggestions you folks have offered, so everyone can hear the improvements

Thank you all
Daniel

Had another listen on my studio monitors - still sounding good, recording-wise.

Love those swelling background harmonies. Now that Iā€™m listening in a quieter environment, the timing slips that @Jon-Jon mentioned are more evident - tightening those up and maybe adding some percussion would make an improvement, I think - worth trying!

Nice to have such different and varied styles here!

@Kinfolk
Hi there Daniel,
Some lovely melodic resonances here and Iā€™m liking the twists and turns with light and shade and poetic suggestion.

A few thoughts come to mind while Iā€™m listening. I got a real ā€˜stairway to heavenā€™ vibe at the intro, just enough to take my head to a dreamy placeā€¦ :slight_smile:
Iā€™m hearing a slight disconnect with the bass beat in the beginning sectionā€¦ now re-listening, Iā€™m wondering just a couple of thingsā€¦ ignore me for sure, I do have odd ideas [grin]ā€¦ I wondered about instead of having the bass with a straight ā€˜walking beatā€™, change it to more of a 1,2,3ā€¦ pause and then a half-beat, or skipā€¦you do that rhythm later on in the songā€¦ The guitar is picking away quickly ( really nice picking I must say!) and my ear tends to try to match the beats a little more.

Some lovely harmonies and a sense of melodic vocal vulnerability which is lovely. There are a few moments where the vox feels just a little pitch-restless, e.g. 1.28 ā€œsomebodyā€ that caught my ear - having said that, the ā€˜helpless and exposedā€™ bit is lovelyā€¦
Really like the transitioning at around 4:00, a nice shift and turning. And the piano end is coolā€¦ I found myself wanting to sweeten her tone just a little but I AM a compulsive piano tone tweakerā€¦ :smile:

And welcome to the water. Lovely to hear some sounds from you!!. :beerbang:

Hello @Emma,[quote=ā€œEmma, post:7, topic:1660ā€]
Some lovely melodic resonances here and Iā€™m liking the twists and turns with light and shade and poetic suggestion.
[/quote]

Iā€™m very much flattered Emma thank you, because this is exactly what I hear in your music. The timing issues are mainly due to my lack of practice. My other life responsibilities have had a tendency to pull me away from the music, Seems I am only able to concentrate properly on one good thing at a time, Iā€™m happy that, that portion of the cycle is ending and I can now devote more time to this passion. Moving forward, the bass is midi so itā€™s spot on timing wise, I do however, like the tip-toeing effect it gives at the beginning, the being cautious. [quote=ā€œEmma, post:7, topic:1660ā€]
There are a few moments where the vox feels just a little pitch-restless, e.g. 1.28 ā€œsomebodyā€ that caught my ear
[/quote]

I hear that now, Yes Iā€™ll need to work that out, Iā€™m not familiar with pitch correction, Iā€™ll only learn it if I do it right?, Iā€™ve been thinking to redo the singing to increase the dynamic range of the performance. Practice is practice.
Emma do you mind if I ask you what you were hearing to tweak in the piano? I do not play the piano.
Hard to believe that I once earned my living as a piano tuner and I never learned to play it, I would gladly receive instructions from a compulsive piano tone tweaker.:slight_smile:[quote=ā€œEmma, post:7, topic:1660ā€]
And welcome to the water.
[/quote]

Thank you

I could lay down and chill to this.

2 Likes