Is this too mushy for a marriage proposal song?

A younger family friend asked me if I had ever written a marriage proposal song. He said he was going to “pop the question” and would like to impress her with a song. I told him in fact I did many years ago and he in fact could use it as is or sing it himself. I haven’t sent it yet and was hoping to get some forum input first. Is it too sappy? Is it not current sounding. This track is at least ten years old and not mixed well with no percussion.
I remember in those days, I didn’t even use EQ etc. ha ha

Stand by me

Will ya stand up for love Will you stay with me for all your life
Stand up for love will you be content to be my wife
I hope you don’t hesitate I hope feel like me We both know how good this feeling can be

Stand by me put your hand in mine… they’re be no goodbye’s
Stand by me we will sail thru time…till the stars close their eyes…….forever…and ever…

Will you care the same when our looks are gone will you hold my hand every day as time goes on

Hey Paul, this is a very sweet song, sounds genuine and heartfelt, and to my ear not overly sappy in the least given the context. It’s simple and very effective IMO.

It does need some taming of the low and low-mid freqs for sure. If you don’t still have the project file & individual tracks, you could still improve things just by importing this file into your DAW and putting a high-pass filter on it, and dial the cutoff frequency until you lose that big boomy low end. I’m not at my music rig just now but I’d guess that the cutoff freq would be around 100 to 150 Hz or so…

If you do still have the project, then I’d HPF all the instruments and add a little soft compression on the guitar at least and see how that sounds. There is also a bit more sibilance on your vox than I’d like, so you could address that too if you have the project.

Good luck to your friend with his proposal! Seems to me he couldn’t fail armed with this song as part of the question-popping!

1 Like

how do you write a proposal song not too mushy? :wink: It is a nice song. As you noted it needs some mixing but otherwise cool.

1 Like

Hi Paul,
I’m popping my head out of the domestic jungle for a breather :wink:
i like this song, and yep, as red says it simply HAS to be mushy and as with all your songs, there is still a tasty wee shadow to it with the question about aging. Would the family friend be singing it? Maybe you could do a backing track? This could ‘rock-up’ quite nicely too, ooh, you could put a guitar solo in and he could play air guitar (giggle)…
I like the song and it would melt my heart if someone sang it to me…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Dave. You are correct that I don’t have that track presently with me. I will try loading it and mess with those frequencies in general. Studio one does have mastering . I have only messed with that a couple of times and couldn’t hear any improvement, but there is a lot there. ha ha
I have been in a band way to many years and developed a bad habit with the SM 58’s of lips on the mic. I am going to give that a whirl and thanks for your help

Paul

1 Like

Great ideas Emma. I don’t even know if the dude can sing. ha ha You have such an imagination. I have alot to think about. I will have to get this to him and see what happens. I told him is was old fashioned and he just shrugged his shoulders?
Glad you had a few moments out of the jungle. I ran a concrete saw all yesterday and a jack hammer for four straight hours today. Not sure if my guitar fingers will ever be the same.
Hang in there

Paul

1 Like

Hope you’re protecting your ears too, you can’t bash us without those.

1 Like

Yeah I hear you… I’ve been packing bags of coffee for 9 hour days… that’s hard too over time… even the sealing bags hurts your fingers after a while but… this week the son-in-law comes back to work… yip yip and fingers crossed for all going well and rosy. Baby looking good, just needing a bit of support for a while :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes, that has always been a must. I have two brothers with hearing aids.