Introducing: 4 Dogs Down with “Trustfall”

Hi everyone, here’s a song I mixed as part of a “Mix Audition” over at Audio Mix Club (AMC). The band liked my mix, so I won, which was a nice surprise, as I really struggled to get it finished on time.

I really loved the tone of Jen, the singer’s voice - what a rasp; what a vibrato!

In any case, they have just released it on Bandcamp:

5 Likes

Agree, Jen’s vocals is fabulous!
And the guitar track is great!!!
Love this beat of this recording!

1 Like

Cool band, good mix, thanks for posting!

1 Like

Wow really diggin’ these guys, I’m getting a gritty Alice in Chains ‘Dirt’ era vibe here.
Mix is very dark, which is fine, I think it sounds good but it would be nice to hear a bit bit of top-end sizzle and bite on those vocals though to really accentuate that sweet voice.

1 Like

Thanks Rene - I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!

Thanks Ingo - Always great to get some feedback from you.

Hey Terry, thanks! It does have a kind of grungy vibe to it - it’s a real mixture of styles, so it was hard to know which direction to take it in at first. We were given a lot of leeway to change things up in the production, so that’s what I did.

It’s definitely on the heavier side of things, and TBH I haven’t had any experience with the intense double-kick-style of drumming this has in it, so that was a first for me. There was a TON of editing needed to tighten up the production before mixing, but once that was done, it was really important for me to try to get it to sound as organic and natural as I could. I don’t know if I accomplished that, but I did like the way it came out in the end.

Yeah, I guess I never thought of it as “dark”, but you’re probably right there… I try to keep an ear to the latest in music production, and what I have noticed, particularly in heavier music lately, is the tendency for many mixes to be quite subdued in the top end compared with the late 90s and early 2000s. I think it is possibly due to the ubiquity of ear-bud/in-ear - style listening devices…

In any case, here’s a song that encapsulates the general direction I was aiming at with the mix - it may explain the dark-ish sonic quality:

Thanks for listening and commenting - much appreciated!

1 Like

I thought the same thing when I first heard it a few weeks back. It is interesting how mixing from a producing perspective can make things unique. At first listen, I had a hard time with it, but the mix grew on me, the more I listened to it.

2 Likes

I listened to the original on AMC, and I think you got a lot out of what you were given to work with. The tracks were all good, but your production added a lot to the finished product.

1 Like

I think you managed to convey that feeling for sure, it turned out great. Just from my personal perspective the main vocal feels like it needs a slight lift. It seems to be inhabiting a lot of the same space as the guitars and some words are getting a little buried.

1 Like