I'm trying to mix this soundtrack since the last month

What do you guys think of it? What could I do to improve this?

Personal taste the opening trumpet? is a little too wet. When the violin comes in it is sitting better. In fact i think you did a great job with the rest mix wise. Nicely done.

Very nice. Where is this from?

Nice balance, but Iā€™m thinking the cello (well, I ā€œthinkā€ thatā€™s a cello) could be louder when the other strings are playing.

It feels like everything is just a tad to wet, to my ears. I agree with Eric there. But it really is personal taste for me. Perhaps youā€™re more shooting for a chamber kind of sound, so this would fit.

Have you reference-checked it?

BTW, Iā€™m not in my studio or good headphones. Just my MB Air. So grain of salt, please.

Very nice piece and mix.

Nice composition - Very ā€œpastoralā€ sounding. Iā€™d could imagine it accompanying a scene of the green English countryside. I love the string quartet sounds - they have a lovely texture to them.

Iā€™m finding the - is it a nylon string guitar? part to be a bit strange sounding. It sounds like it has the attack portion of an acoustic guitar and the sustain of a muted pianoā€¦ Or perhaps like an acoustic guitar sample and a piano sample are being triggered simultaneously by the same midi notes. I think for this type of piece the instrument needs to have a better sense of realism to be convincing.

Something about the ambience also isnā€™t sitting quite right for me. Iā€™d suggest trying an ambience with less midrange ā€œringā€ to itā€¦ or perhaps eq some of the mids out of the ambience if possible. I think a more dry sound overall would work better for this piece.

Nice work!

If you are talking about the opening section, itā€™s a harpsichord (the guy I was making the music for thought it was a piano with weird eq). But if you are talking about the middle to end of the music, Yeah, Iā€™m trying to improve the sound of the guitar, but sadly the vst I have is better suited for non-classical stuff.

As about the ambiance, I aimed for chamber stuff, like small baroque chamber music. Iā€™m also struggling to try to get the right sound. Most of the times i hear classical music at my college it has a huge reverb because of the place. So I actually thought my mix had almost a non-reverb sound.

About the string quartet sound, In fact the only string instrument is the cello. I tried to change the sound of the oboe, trombone, and cello so it sounded like their baroque counterparts (donā€™t know if I exactly succeded)

Anyway, thanks for the tips and advice!

Iā€™m aimed at chamber music indeed. And there is just the cello as string. I didnā€™t want to expose the cello all the time so different instruments could play the subject or variations themes. Also, I usually like things quieter when I compose in this style, so the listener is forced to pay attention to the big picture. But I probably overdid it, thanks for pointing out.

Btw, everything there is vsts (the cello is a free one)

I didnā€™t reference check it for the ambiance, because I donā€™t really know a recording with a good chamber reverb. But for the tonal balance, I used the main theme of up (the animation) as a reference.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Its pretty cool and dynamic, but maybe a touch raw in placesā€¦

If you wanted a little more, smooth and polished sound, in a gentle kind of way, of course - you might want it to sound a little more like thisā€¦

PS. Harpsichord in the first minute is definitely a little too big, but Im ok with the reverb!!

Did you eq - 3 Db between 300 and 2.500 Hz? Or did you use a multiband compressor in that area? Anyway, good idea, it added a little more clarity and bass.

I made several little cuts between 1dB and 2 dB in those areas then pushed the bass, mids and treble back in with a much broader band eq, the tape machine ā€˜eqā€™ also smoothed things out too.

1 Like