I’m switching distributors. RouteNote is good, but their site is extremely buggy and is a pain to deal with. Which distributor should I switch to? I’ve heard of DistroKid and TuneCore, but their service is paid. I’d much rather have a free service (there are a few) because I’m a kid and don’t have a stable income yet.
I don’t have much experience with online distribution platforms, but I’d guess that there’s some others here that might have some ideas.
I don’t know any good distributor that is free, sorry…
I am with Distrokid and I am also managing a few of my clients on Distrokid with a record label account. I have no complaints, but it’s not cheap.
I too use distrokid, from memory as a label option which is more manageable. That way I can do my band and other projects. I have the 5 band $79.99 a year option which I think is pretty reasonable at less than $20 a band a year.
Here is distrokid’s pricing for others who may be interested (I know you are already with them, Jean).
- Musician: 1 band/artist, $19.99/year
- Musician Plus: 2 bands/artists, $35.99/year (save 10%)
- Label 5: 5 bands/artists, $79.99/year (save 20%)
- Label 10: 10 bands/artists, $139.99/year (save 30%)
- Label 20: 20 bands/artists, $239.99/year (save 40%)
- Label 50: 50 bands/artists, $599.99/year (save 40%)
- Label 100: 100 bands/artists, $1199.99/year (save 40%)
I use Soundrop. They don’t charge you unless it’s a cover song. So no upfront fee at all, perfect for me who just want to release music with zero expectation of financial success.
Went with Freshtunes, but if they fail me i’ll try Soundrop. As a last resort i’ll try Distrokid because my parents may be willing to pay for it for my music.