IK Multimedia Mix Contest Update!

Thank you to each of you that have entered the contest. I appreciate you all taking the time with the song and I hope you all had fun… and above all… learned something!

Now we move to the community phase of this contest. For the next 2 weeks, please listen to each other’s mixes and offer HELPFUL advice to anything that stands out to you. Helpful advice will gain you bonus points before the final judging begins. Offering tips, advice, and observations about each mix (even if you’re a beginner) can boost your ranking even higher!

6 Likes

You can’t teach a dead clown new tricks, but you taught me how to love again Bryan Holster.

1 Like

yes thank you for the opportunity, it was fun. It was nice to hear everyone’s mixes. contest or not, i cant resist to offer unsolicited help at any given chance :smiley: but I do have some recording gigs in the next 2 weeks, ill try to take another pass at everyone’s mixes and see if there is something else I can add. Do “morecowbell” references count as helpful tips?

3 Likes

DEFINITELY HAD FUN! Thanks again @holster for running the contest, @ikmultimedia for the amazing prize, and @Cristina for sharing her beautifully written and performed song. This has easily been one of my favorite songs of this last year.

One clarification - are there 8 finalists yet, I don’t see them? Or is that what happens in 2 weeks?

One more thing, perhaps an idea for future contests (if not this one): maybe the finalists could have a couple of days to make revisions based on the feedback they’ve received? Or better yet - maybe the artist could give a couple of tips or directions for each mix as far as where she would like to see a mix go? That way, she could potentially end up with a mix that she may want to release? In addition to broadening her audience, the artist could get something tangible out of putting their song into the contest … Just thinking out loud, really.

The finalists will be named after the 2 weeks of community voting/advice are completed.

Luckily you only have 28 mixes to sort through instead of the cluster that was the last contest, or the thousands in the Boz contest.

OK thanks. I’ll have to dig through the entries to find ones I haven’t commented on yet…
– edit –
@CPF - I just missed last year’s contest but did eventually mix it. Personality, right? I imagine at some point these contests just get too unwieldy to listen to ALL of the mixes.

Yeah, it ain’t that bad this year, but it was pretty intense last year. I hope that writer isn’t a member, because I really didn’t like Personality. It didn’t have any balls. It was all wimpy, never kicked into gear. I guess that’s what “indie rock” is, but I find it funny that a lot of us on here are too old to like indie rock, we’re into the old (good) stuff. Indie rock used to be good, when it wasn’t a bunch of whiny twenty year olds sobbing over a lost love because they don’t have nuts, because all men have to be sensitive and clean shaven everywhere now. They dress like lumberjacks, but they act like pussies. I guess lumberjack beards are acceptable.

Will “Mr. 1’s” votes be nullified between now and then?

Cool, I thought all the feedback had to be left by last night. I’ve still got time.

Well, it is an indie recording website. @holster I would love a metal track to mix in the future for a competition though, I think a lot of us would feel right at home doing that. I know you take what you can get, but it would make me and some of the other guys happy. Lot’s of scary guitars. I love mixing stuff with a lot of midrange, it just sounds…filling. It’s always a challenge determining where to place a specific guitar, what effects to run it through, it’s a good time. You get the bass to fill on that low-end so it makes the guitars sound even thicker. I don’t think @cristina is a metal head by nature though, we might have to turn elsewhere for a track of that caliber.

cant even imagine listening to thousand mixes… also do the comments and advice have to be on the wasteland mixes only? or can it be on other things on the forum. I am intrigued by many topics outside the mixing contest as well regardless of the contest (not saying I dont want to help those who don’t count for the contest lol, but it would be nice to have a guideline so I dont tunnel on random topics like what makeup to have for studio lighting :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Boz can do it because he’s not human. He’s an alien from the planet California, raised by the Utah people. So he has a high tolerance for pain. If you hadn’t noticed, I submitted a few joke mixes to his contest to keep him on his claws.

Allow me to reply in song.

1 Like

I’m sure it was easier for @bozmillar when he got entries like this…

Sorry, Holst. Can’t post the St. Anger one because it has indecent exposure in the cover.

By all means, free to comment, participate, start your own threads, talk gear, talk acoustics, talk production and mixing techniques, bash some mixes, put some mixes up for bashing etc. etc.

When a few of us migrated to this new site from the ashes of recordingreview.com about a year ago, that was the heart of that community, and it was our aim to try to carry on that same kind of camaraderie and mutual helpfulness that RR had provided for many years. To do that, we need people like yourself to participate when possible.

I don’t know the exact details of @holster 's points system, but I’m guessing only specific comments on the contest mixes will count toward that… Nonetheless, the rest of us certainly appreciate your participation in any way - it all helps the community.

4 Likes