I understand now done..thanks..Andrew, Dave, ingolee

Thanks for the help guys. Movin on to the next one:)

2 Likes

DS? :grin:

1 Like

Yup, how long did it take you? ha ha

I like it! It gives a definite nod to the verse melody but the chorus and song in general are different enough to not be blatant ripoff. I believe the chord progression in the verse is what is known as an “Andalusian Cadence”… Pretty common in all sorts of tunes and very catchy.

…Actually, I more than like it!
:beerbanger:
This kind of thing is done all the time. As long as you credit the original artist, there is no problem… Eg: You’ll notice in the credits to this recently released track from an Aussie band, that Sonny Curtis (I Fought the Law) is given half the songwriting credit:

1 Like

Well, I am glad that you liked it. I have to re-sing and re bridge yet. I get what you are saying about the ripoff aspect. I bet very few would remember that song and the artists are most likely deceased?? I also just strummed an acoustic on one side. Not much for dynamics yet, but now I will build. This comment made my day. thanks much

1 Like

I recognised the melody immediately - It took me until around 38 seconds before I could think of the artist’s name, though. We used to do that track in a wedding band I was in.

I guess in a way, this is the “analogue” version of sampling. In the 50s & 60s via the jazz and blues tradition, it was pretty common for artists to “quote” other well-known songs - especially in their solos. Eg: Clapton quoting “Blue Moon” in the “Sunshine of Your Love” solo; Hendrix quoting “Strangers in the Night” in… was it his “Wild Thing” live solo?

…post-modern before post-modern was a thing!

1 Like

Ok, so when this track hits the charts, I will give credit where credit is due…and maybe a little for me. ha ha fun stuff

1 Like

I definitely get the DS too. :slight_smile: Good stuff Paul! Love the spoken bit in the middle there. :wink:

Andrew’s point is right on-- it was actually expected and “cool” to overtly “cite” well known songs like that. This is what Led Zep was doing in the stuff they were later accused of “plagiarism” for. It was a done thing.

2 Likes

Hi guy. good to hear from you. Missed my WOO (window of opportunity) to meet you here in the Houston area. I figured you would get the melody line. I just needed a story. Thanks for chirping in :slight_smile:

Dang, did I miss the contest? I was sure I’d be a runaway winner too. :roll_eyes: Actually an effective song structure because the chorus is a surprise change from what we expect to happen after the familiar verse. Nice guitar work with the mellow chord fills especially. The bridge is a good idea, maybe use a telephone voice and then have it layered so the nagging repeats and builds up?

1 Like

Hi I used a telephone voice in studio one, but I will have to figure out what layered and repeating mean. I woke up this morning thinking that the bridge is the weakest part of it all. Having a great appreciation now of your guitar playing ability after listening to your colab. Thanks so much for the help

Thanks for the encouragement. I was just thinking of the one voice multiplying into several voices nagging and interrupting each other so they kind of overwhelm the poor guy. It’s been done before but it might fit here. Telephone voices are usually kind of muffled and lo-fi, this one seems kind of up front. Just a thought.

1 Like

Now I get what you are saying. I will mess with that. I tried layering and it wiped our the track? I just hit undo and it came back. I will experiment with that function tho??
I update my progress daily, and will, at some point, move on to the next :slight_smile: thanks again.

@feaker you could try first duplicating the track with the bridge vocal on it. I think you’re on Studio 1 and I don’t know Studio 1 but if you right click on the track you should get a menu that includes “duplicate” which if you click on it you should get a new track with a copy of the original track on it (two tracks total).

You can then split the new track. To split any Track , set the playback cursor where you want the split and press [Alt]+[X] on the keyboard. You can do multiple splits so you then get individual words or phrases depending on where you placed the cursor. Then you should be able to click and drag those short pieces anywhere on the track so it becomes like an overdub to the original track when you press ‘play’.

If you repeat this process (more duplicates, more splitting and dragging) you’ll get a storm of nagging going on, depressing to think about!

1 Like

Such a nice thing to simplify for an old man. The process sounds doable for even me and fun to try. Yes I Alt X all the time splitting tracks especially for lowering vocal sections that have spiked. I also use it to copy and paste a good guitar section with a mutt. ha ha Can’t wait to try this tomorrow. Thanks much bud.

I like the direction you took that melody, Paul. To me it is a soft homage, and how you incorporated it into something new and original is pretty cool. I guess I missed something, but as a song it is quite likable. The female diatribe in the middle was pretty funny in a sharp way, too, felt quintessential to the song.

1 Like

Ha ha The female voice was my daughter Dana :slight_smile: one take and she nailed it

feaker,
I tried to listen to your song yesterday, in the other thread, but it wouldn’t play for some reason. Now it is playing. Instrumentally, it reminds me of Pink Floyd, which to me is a good thing. I think the vocals are quite good. I think instrumentally it sounds very good, as does the audio quality. Nice song and melodies all around; glad you are back at it again. Oh, I wanted to mention that this song does not have an abrupt ending, and I think that is good. :slight_smile:

1 Like