I have no work at the moment. So

I literally have no projects in the studio besides my weekly load of churches and broadcast audio.

So…I signed up at the gym. Its only about 2 minutes away from my house. And I’m gonna run and do light weight lifting every day for about 3 hours or so until I get so busy again that I can’t make it over there. But I’ve grown a ridiculous looking pot belly that I’m gonna try and shed off over the next few months, provided that I don’t get slammed so busy that I can’t even think straight lol.

Funny story, my very first day at the gym…guess what I did? I fixed their sound system. I quickly spotted the problem (which was someone had tried to plug the speakers into the aux output of a peavey powered mixer). They now had sound and could play their aerobics music for the class that was waiting to start. So I joined the class consisting of a group of women in their 40’s and 50’s which proceeded to run circles around me while I gasped, panted, and sweated my brains out as I stumbled about trying to keep up with them. Oh, it was pretty funny for them and pretty sad for me. But they were grateful they had music to work out to lol.

I went home and cooled down a bit, then I went back and took the iPad clamp that attaches to a microphone stand to the gym. I needed to figure out a way to attach my iPad to a treadmill so I wouldn’t be bored to death while running on that god damn (which feels like the most mindless invention of the 20th century). I did get it to attach to one of the handlebars, so tomorrow when I go in again, I can bluetooth the audio to my in-ears and listen to waves plugin tutorials, work through Ableton videos on Groove 3, and study some beat making tutorials materials from The Songwriting Group.

Got my work cut out for me lol. At 2-3 hrs a day of running plus some weightlifting and tweaks to the diet, I hope to loose about 30-40 pounds over the next 5-6 months. I’ll be going to as many of those cardio, aerobic, and kickboxing classes as I can cram into my schedule which is bound to pick up sometime though.

3 Likes

Congrats on your willpower. Not and easy thing to lose that much, but your head is in the right direction. Should have gotten a free session for the sound fix. Ladies and music are a great distraction.

I need to get myself into a regular workout routine. And by workout, I mean consistent daily walks or riding a bike. lol

Yep, I have a pot belly rockin’ as well. I go through phases. Pot belly, burn it off. Round and round I go. I have asthma so most cardio is difficult for me. I find weight lifting helps a lot. Muscle mass is what helps you burn off excess calories more than cardio. Too much cardio breaks down muscle. Muscle is your calorie burning machine.

3 Likes

Good luck Jonathan! It’s a struggle for sure, I can’t seem to get down to the weight I want to be at either. And this week won’t help-- on vacation with the family up in Lake Tahoe, and it’ll be lots of food and beer every day (normally I drink alcohol only on weekends).

I’m also thinking about taking up walking and jogging to get rid of the mid range build up I’ve got growing on me as well - but I love the dedication to the audio! I hadn’t even thought far enough ahead to work out which podcast / tutorials I would listen to while exercising!

1 Like

HA!!! Nice one :slight_smile:

I am in the same boat, folks. I like to eat, exercise not so much, and last year it caught up with me with terrible blood sugar and cholesterol numbers which got me insulin and fenofibrate prescriptions. The good news is my numbers are almost normal now, and I think diet and physical work make a big difference. But I’m still working on finding a balance that will lose 50 pounds eventually.

You guys wouldn’t believe the workouts I’ve been through the last few days. I’M SORE :frowning: And everything HURTS.

So after the first week I jumped on the scale this morning and I lost 7 pounds. I know it won’t continue at that pace because my body’s primarily shedding water I’m dropping the most at the very beginning.

Also been only eating Korean and Indian food. Korean food is naturally healthy, and the Indian food I’ve substituted all heavy creams for nasty sour imported turkish yogurts, but its the one genera of food that can survive zero salt/zero sugar recipes because there’s so dang many spices you can do without them.

I’ve also been cooking Mediterranean inspired stuff steering clear of any sauces that are based on anything but the organic. I’m not worried about the rice in the Indian and Asian dishes, as long as its plain white and not in huge portions. For the Mediterranean stuff I’ve been staying away from stuff like Orzo, but been using small amounts of couscous. I do occasionally eat small pieces of breads, but my trainers deemed this ok for breakfasts and early day meals because your body does need some carbs or it’ll revolt and make the diet super difficult.

Everyone’s got different stuff that works for them. I came to the conclusion this was like mixing a song, where there’s no one-size-fits all solution. :slight_smile:

2 Likes