I AM Universe

“I AM Universe” One of my recent cinematic tracks, let me know what you think!

1 Like

Listening on my laptop, with my Etymotic ear buds. Don’t have my Sennheisers with me cuz I’m out of town…

Very nice. Flows beautifully. Relaxing. Well-balanced. The strings are beautiful. I really like the sound you got on your piano (Kontakt?). The arrangment is very nice.
I particularly like the way the piano and strings “talk” to each other. A lot of emotion here. The choral touches (like at 2:00 and 2:30) are a nice touch that add to the emotion. Very subtle, but effective.

If I were to find something to criticize, I’d just say that to my taste the pad is a tad loud relative to the rest going on. It almost takes over rather than just providing support. The EQ also feels a little heavy on the low end. Could use more air. Now, again, I’m only listening on ear buds; they’re pretty good ear buds, but just sayin’ . But my buds still tend to be light on low end, not heavy.

Another winner from you, Michelle!

1 Like

Thanks for some great feedback! The Piano is Yamaha DGX 650 , a live Cello and a Choral pad. No kontakt on this one. I dreamt this arrangement where Piano and Strings talk to each other and woke up and had to record it !

Sounds great.

I would prefer to hear a little more ebb and flow happening with the background pad. I realise the very raison d’etre of a pad is to be at a consistent level, but I feel it’s just a little too constant. I think perhaps giving it a little variation is an opportunity to really amplify the overall emotion of the arrangement.

1 Like

I could definitely automate it some

Very nice @FluteCafe , I’m not usually a fan of ambient type sounds but this is both mellow and musical as well as cinematic. The combination of live and sampled instruments is impressive; so do you just have a direct ‘line in’ from the Yamaha ?

1 Like

The DGX allows me to record and export a 1644 wav file directly to a USB drive. I love that particular Yamaha model. It is very handy for quick comps when you dont have time to fiddle around with VSTs and MIDI. It is a bit of an older model but has some really good sound samples.

Love the weaving between the sounds, creates a lovely ambiance…
One thing that caught my ear was the entry/attack of the cello sounds… it felt just a touch ‘clunky’ to me. It had that feeling of key rather than string. But that is probably because I am prone to fixating about cello sounds (grin)… automating the volume to just slide the notes in a little more would change this.
A lovely vibe.

1 Like

Hi Emma, thanks for listening and your detailed feedback. I definitely plan on fading in the cello notes and automating the pad as well as noted above . The clunkiness is likely due to my inexperience in micing the cello. I had it too close to the sound box so the notes come out a bit harsh. I also had no compressor on , sort of put this together in a jiffy before I lost the notes ringing in my head lol

1 Like

Ahh cool, and yeah, I know that feeling of having a song complete and needing to get it down… it’s a rare pleasure!! Didn’t realise you had mic-ed it… assumed it was line in…
really like the ‘musicalness’ of it all… hehe… how about that for an obscure comment.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Sounds really nice. Atmospheric and pleasurable to listen to!

1 Like

Not a mixer here. It was sadly beautiful to me. Makes me think of a scene where two lovers finally had to go their own way?

It has a sadness to it yes. Its amazing how a few notes can invoke such imagery. The theme invokes a sense of lost time to me. As if I am seeing things in a distant future trying to not think of what could have been. It is sort of “emotional time travel”

1 Like

Well done. I can hear it being used in a variety of situations. I think the dynamics could vary a touch more, but that I assume would be dependent on how it was used. It evokes emotion, which to me is the main ingredient.

1 Like