How to Make Your Bedroom Studio Sound Great

Russ is just soooooo amazing.

This isn’t some babling idiot on youtube. He is one of the most accomplished acoustics designers in the US. And one of the kindest and most trustworthy people I have ever had the honor of getting to know.

There’s some very useful info and tidbits in this video. I strongly encourage people to take the time to watch it all the way through.

6 Likes

Great find! Thanks for sharing that!

nothing new but interesting perspective from someone whose done 3500+ rooms.

that one comment was interesting he said a lot of bad rooms make everything have the “brown sound”, then said every track has that sound and the whole ends up with that same “brown sound” which isnt very good. probably a lot of truth in that.

for crap bedrooms hard to beat Ethans Free layout diagram, at least you might get a small 3ft triangle to work well.

I’m only one minute in, and I’m already excited that he’s actually talking about real world constraints.

That was a very good clip. Loved the story about the egg cartons…

In my experience the sound of your room is perhaps the most crucial element in achieving some sort of success in recording. I more or less finished my current studio about 1,5 years ago, and I’ve really made some progress since. I had a recording setup before about ten years ago in an untreated attic. It sounded terrible, and I there was nothing I could do to make it better, even though my recording gear was (simple but) OK. So I didn’t learn very much about recording and basically wasted a lot of time and money. Only my studio condenser mic turned out to be a good investment . Pretty much all the rest is worthless now (desktop computer, mixer, soundcard, Cubase, plugs,etc ). Anyone interested can come and collect it for free :smirk:. So take heed: start with a reasonably decent sounding room!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. My stuff got SO much better-sounding after I treated my room. Room treatment and good monitoring (that you have referenced well with known material) are absolute musts.