How Long Does It Take You To Complete Your Recording?

Yep. That’s largely me as well!

Mornin Mr M. I thought a compressor was to average out the highs and lows. I think I tried automation on a timing issue one time, but it didn’t help. Maybe I should do a little homework on youtube??

Coffee sure looks good. I had to give it up a couple of weeks ago. After surviving covid, I now have a very painnful stomach. Getting scoped tomorrow. Hope it’s not the big “C”
If it is I will change from studio one to “grim reaper” ha ha

1 Like

Yes, a compressor does do that, but often you can use volume automation to level out the volume on your tracks before you resort to compression. It works especially well for vocals, acoustic guitar, bass and drums.

I didn’t know that you can use automation for timing issues. Automation works well for dynamics, though. It can be very useful and effective.

Youtube is great for mixing and recording tutorials. I’d bet that there’s many tutorial videos for Studio One on youtube. There’s a ton of Reaper tutorials.

I only started drinking coffee about 8 years ago and now I think I might have a developed a psychological dependence on it. It can be hard on the stomach, for sure. I think it is also responsible for me feeling drained and exhausted the day after indulge too much. I’m jacked up on coffee right now! :smiley: :partying_face:

I had read on one of the threads that you might have Covid but I didn’t know that it was confirmed. Hope you’re recovering well ! Stay away from coffee if you have stomach issues!

I’m hoping you’re ok. There’s a good chance that you’ll be fine. It’s good that you’re getting yourself checked out, though.

Reaper isn’t that grim, haha! It’s a great DAW! :rofl:

1 Like

Absolutely! The arrangements usually take more time than the tracking. It’s much easier to simply record a demo because a demo doesn’t require full and complete arrangements. A demo doesn’t require perfect performances. It’s just a rehearsal for the real thing…, just a sketch or a rough draft.

“How Long Does It Take To Complete Your Recording”. The reason I put the word “complete” in the thread is because I wanted to emphasis that I’m talking specifically about a “finished” product/ song. I think that some people here are talking about how much time it takes them to throw together a demo, not a completed/ finished song.

Regular brewed coffee can be quite acidic. That’s what makes it hard on the stomach. Try “cold brew”, like the Starbucks variety, though you can buy it bottled by other brands at the store or make your own. Caffeine is a stimulant, so kind of a mild version of cocaine. Overindulgence will have its consequences. Moderation, plus keeping it to the early hours of the day may help. They say 4-5 hours (or up to 8 depending on your constitution) before sleep you should not have caffeine. It’s got a half-life of several hours at least.

Great thread, BTW. I haven’t been able to digest it all, but like the topic.

1 Like

I put my response to this post on a separate post. Thanks for starting the topic, Wicked!

http://indierecordingdepot.com/t/response-to-post-by-wicked-about-time-to-complete-a-song-this-is-the-day/5720

1 Like