How familiar are you with synth stuff?

Not seen it but will check it out later at home (on mobile at wrk at present)

Hear you on the flow though,
I dont like 808 type emulator plugins. I find it hard to get good results.
Thats why i have an MPC :slight_smile:
I can run either hardware, samples or plugins from my mpc with the real feel and midi control of hardware :slight_smile:

The humble mpc1000 , the heart and sould of my humble home studio.
All my midi gear is routed through it, and my daw. I couldnt live without it.
Amazing piece of kit with 2 midi in, 2 midi out 6 analog outputs, digital in/out, usb.

It is my command centre lol.
Sorry for crappy photo quality its a zoomed in pic from my phone!
( first photo i have uploaded to the new site and it was a rapid welcome and easy transaction! Good work!)

1 Like

Iā€™d call myself competent with many types of synths. I had a Polysix in the 80ā€™s (LOVED having all those knobs!). Sold that to get a DW-8000, which I still own.I was lucky that the band director at my HS was an electronic music freak; I had tons of hands on time with an ARP Oddysey and SEIL DK-something-or-another. I also had(maybe still have?) a DX100, a Kawai K1 (awful to program!), and an Akai S612 (early sampler, with only two controls and a single one-second sample at a time).

Iā€™ve got a lot of software synths, including the Korg collection, but it the sound feels thinner in a way I canā€™t completely explain.

(Side thought: I taught keyboard at a music store in the early 90ā€™s, and half the time people just wanted to learn how to program their synths. Iā€™m glad that people are starting to program their own sounds again instead of just using what the ā€œworkstationā€ provides).

3 Likes

Awesome!
Nice skills and youā€™ve had some nice synths!

The only soft syntsh i like to use are zebra2, absynth and messing about on reason :/)
A lotof the branded emulators like korg and novation suck compared to their hardware equivilents.
But zebra 2 is every bit as fat as any hard analog synth iā€™ve ever used.

I might have to check out Zebraā€¦ Waveā€™s synths are actually pretty good, too. The ā€œJarreā€ patch in Codex ( if I remember correctly) takes me back 30 years.

1 Like

I LOVE synthsā€¦ I did try to learn all that tweaky stuff when Brandon was raving about it but it bored me heaps - all I want is cool sounds [cheesy grin].
Iā€™ve used a few different ones over the years but omnisphere is my go-to absolute favourite these days. My key issue is usually finding the sound that Iā€™ve imaginedā€¦ there are so very many optionsā€¦ great fun!!

1 Like

i like omnisphere but i had to stop using it as it was far too hungry for my current PC. if i upgrade my set up i will no doubt maybe get it. but to be honest i bought zebra2 and that does all i need . but yeah Omnisphere is about the best for making weird soundscapes imo

1 Like

omnisphere2 looks like an amazing beastā€¦ I aspire to that one dayā€¦
I found that omnisphere was cpu heavy when I used it just as a separate instrument track but as a vst (via the cubase vst rack thingy), I can use half a dozen different versions at a time and the computer doesnā€™t even blinkā€¦ Iā€™m still boggled by the amount of stuff lurking within its creative depthsā€¦

Hey Iain, thanks for the simple description in this post! Really useful for a total synth newb like meā€¦ Much appreciated!

I think the main challenge for us guitar folks is the mindset towards using a synth. For me anyway, I tend to think about a synth maybe as an add-on, much like using a Hammond or strings to add a bit of -dare I say it - emotional warmth in the upper mid range. Or if I feel really adventurous I might even consider a synth lead in early 70ā€™s style. But then you have to play it somehow, and Iā€™m pretty hopeless with a keyboard. But what I really mean is that with a synth you have to let go of the way youā€™ve learnt to make music and start all over again with the synth first, adding other instruments second. Maybe someday Iā€™ll tryā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s a free demo version which is worth downloading to get a feel for it. Itā€™s not an expensive unit by any means, but its just really nice in the workflow and the way it was designed. Thereā€™s a ton you can do with it!