Help please

Hey guys I’ve had this chance to record this foreign band and this song is to be used in an indie film soundtrack. the film is a horror/thriller theme. How is it sounding overall? I’ve added some orchestra sounds on the verse parts and in the final chorus to add to the mood of the song. I hope you could tell if I did something wrong with it. thanks very much and regards! cheers!

PS: Please pardon the language used. Its in a native language.

Brian

Sounds awesome Brian! Love the freaky scary sounds!

I’m wondering if the drums are just too transient-heavy and “spiky-sounding” - especially in the verses where the instrumentation is spare. That sound suits a much denser mix, so it fits the chorus better, but even then the spiky-ness of the drum transients is a bit much - it has the effect of making the drums feel somewhat “disconnected” from the rest of the mix.

Being really picky here, but I think you could afford to pull some low mids out of the low chorus vocals, as I just get a sense of muddiness creeping into the mix during that section with all the layered vocals.

All in all though, excellent stuff!

2 Likes

Hi Andrew thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: much appreciated. Yes I will try to fix those. about the mudiness, I have yet to learn low end mixing haha. I’ll give it a listen in my car to figure out where exactly to cut. About the spikyness, aside from volume fader adjustments, what do you think is best to treat this problem? Im thinking about sampling during verses but maybe you’d have a better idea :slight_smile:

Faster attack on the drum comp might work… Or you could always use a transient designer and turn down the attack.

1 Like

copy that. will try re-editing this one while its still fresh in my mind :slight_smile:

Definitely worth checking out @bozmillar’s Transgressor plugin for this one. This looks like the perfect task for it! I’d at least download the demo and try it out. It’ll make quick work of those drums as @ColdRoomStudio suggested :wink:

http://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/transgressor/

2 Likes

I did not read any comments before listening so I wouldn’t be biased. It turns out my notes are pretty similar to ColdRommStudio’s. So +1 on his comments.

Nice dark song. All the reverb and ambience is well-suited. I thought the snare was too loud, then the chorus hit, and it was just right. So I might look at lowering the drums on the quieter verse section, then let them “explode” for the chorus. I thought the kick could come up a bit to match the snare also.

In my notes, I have “snare too splatty”. So I guess I think it could use some more body and oomph, and less of the higher frequencies (?) - but maybe lowering the volume a tiny bit could take care of that. It cuts through really nicely. Again, it sounds just right in the chorus, it’s the verse section where it kind of sticks out.

I also agree with the “sense of muddiness” comment. I was thinking the rhythm guitars could use a little more bite, especially in the really dense chorus section. But reducing some of the competing frequencies would certainly help too.

Overall, it sounds really good. I think just a couple of tweaks and you’re there.

1 Like

wow thanks for taking the time to review this mike. I will take into account all your thoughts and I’ll try using what @holster suggested :slight_smile: you guys are awesome and i thank you guys. Back to the mixing board for now :slight_smile:

Def has the atmosphere for a horror movie!