Haunted Trailer Park Blues, a country rock Halloween song

This is a song that is probably 6 years old at least that I never quite got right. But this time I like it! I know Halloween is a long way away, but it was a fun distraction from the current events. I have a fantasy about being famous for a holiday song that is commercially played every year like clockwork. Thanks to Boz for all the vocal processing effects! It’s comedy, so I believe it tolerates/needs some vocal imperfections.

All criticisms welcome!

1 Like

Interesting hauntingly evil laughter. The buzzing guitars are very effective too. That haunted kitty cat (?) is a nice effect. I got a little bit of a Rocky Horror Picture Show vibe in it.

Here’s a Rock example with Alice Cooper and Vincent Price that probably held the title for at least a few years.

The Nightmare by Alice Cooper was a television special originally broadcast on ABC April 25, 1975

Fun tune, I would maybe try to bring the vocals up and maybe tweek them so they are clearer. I find it a little hard to hear what you are saying clearly. Maybe eq a tad? Love the slap bass.

I have a fairly decent evil laugh!

I saw Alice Cooper once in the 70s. His politics are oddly Republican, but I thoroughly enjoyed his show.

Thanks, James! I sang this song so quietly due to my wife working from home in the other room, and had to bring it up quite a bit, but I’m sure a little tweaking would help. It is difficult to do that on one’s own stuff where you know all words!

BTW, all the instruments are VSTs. That bass is Waves BassSlapper. It was $19 on sale on Black Friday, and not the most sophisticated instrument but has a few pretty realistic sounds that can be played easily.

I’m trying to utilize the virtual instruments to achieve garage band level realism. I used a couple synths with alien voices and weird tales that I normally don’t use, but I just wanted something to add spooky ambience. I was a regular Ghost Hunters watcher when I wrote the lyrics, but the TAPS reference is probably mostly forgotten by now, but I don’t care.

1 Like

Kind of happy and kind of horrific vibe. There’s almost a carnival sound happening here.

That slap bass sound adds some flavour!

The last song that you posted just before this one is probably my favourite of your songs. I don’t remember what it was called and I didn’t comment on it, but it had a nice dark vibe.

This would be suitable for a Halloween or a scary carnival. I’m thinking Killer Clowns.

Good vibe. Can’t hear the lyrics very well. You do have a soothing voice…reverb a little too much. Timing is a little off in spots, but it just makes it sound live that way. the phazer is just a tad too much. ha ha Very interesting to say the least.

I was striving for something like that! It’s not easy!

That might be my coronavirus song, What Happens Next. It was very structured and I think I sang it pretty well for me.

I will have to try tweaking the vocals, I suppose. I wanted a live feel, and I liked the verb on the evil laughter and just let it go throughout. My timing is not my strongest point, and I probably let it slide as an artistic choice, albeit usually a poor one, Paul…

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I’m almost certain that’s the song. You created a nice, dark, kind of eerie mood in that song.