Hangnail

This one has been hanging around in various states of incompletion for a while… I finally got a chance to finish writing it today. Here’s a simple guitar and vocal proof of concept:

6 Likes

Guitar work is cool. Got me swayin in my lazy boy. Like the rawness of this. Also like the first take peek we get. I’m not feeling good. Just wanted to say i like it and think it has much upside. Not juiced up yet works for me.

2 Likes

A cool tune for sure. Sounds country rock to me, Byrds, Eagles etc. Keep it acoustic and add some steel guitar, fiddle ? Nice to hear the beginings.

1 Like

I really like this one. I agree with what ingolee said.

1 Like

Hi CRS,
Beautiful acoustic performance!
I can feel your emotions on this recording.
Vocals and guitar are perfectly mixed, and really sound great together!
Love this production!
Rene

1 Like

O yes!!
Love it… fab song, funny how a hangnail on a toe can still just work in a song… but there is a gorgeous edge to your raw vox that I’m loving. O dear, Split Enz analogy again sorry…
More please!

1 Like

Hi Paul, thanks!…hope you’re feeling better now - thanks for listening and commenting!

Thanks Ingo. I was kind of thinking of “The Outdoor Type” by The Lemonheads when I wrote this, but I agree it is very much in the folk/country vein. I still haven’t thought much about other instrumentation yet, as I think I have a few tweaks to make. Thanks for listening, and for the suggestions!

Hey Al, great to hear from you. Glad you like it - thanks!

Hey Rene, thanks for your kind comments. I was actually a finger style acoustic guitarist for many years before I started playing electric with a pick, so it’s a style that feels like “home” for me. Thanks for taking a listen and sharing your thoughts!

Thanks Emma, glad you like it. I don’t mind Split Enz at all, so I’ll take that! :blush: As I said above “The Outdoor Type” by The Lemonheads has always been one of my favourite tracks, so I wanted to write something in that vein. The Enz definitely have that same quirky viewpoint in their songs, though. Thanks for listening and commenting!

1 Like

Nice song, it is light hearted with a sense of melancholy. Are you thinking big production, or just a few embellishments? I can hear all kinds of little melodies working as a backdrop to the chorus. The feel of the main vox backed by Beatlesque voices singing counterpoint might be all you need. Kind of like the verses of Yellow Submarine, but obviously more fitting to your theme.
It’s simple, well performed, and great.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad you got that - definitely the kind of thing I was going for.

I haven’t decided yet, really… I feel like I have a rough direction in my head, but I’m not sure if it will work. I’ve been doing a few experiments, but then I got distracted writing a new song…

Great ideas - That’s something I may just explore - Thank you!

@ColdRoomStudio

Very cool!
I envision a full band coming in about 1/2 way through, and harmonies building towards the end.
Vocals sound EQ’d/processed perfect to me. Love the vocal tone.

Only thing that stood out were the acoustic guitars were a little too spiky/sparkly in the upper end of the EQ. But as you said, this is the concept recording.

Great “we’ve all been there” type lyrics! I’m looking forward to the final version!

2 Likes

Thanks FGF - Great ideas! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

1 Like