Handlebars (BMX Guy) Original tune

I saw a dirty grown man on a BMX bike the other day. Probably the result of a DUI. He inspired me to write this song. We salute you…BMX Guy! Haha!

Been play around with acoustic lately. Tried to keep this a little raw sounding. I hope you enjoy it. Take care everyone!

Lyrics……

Handlebars (BMX Guy)

Where are your keys?
Who stole that dream?
One big night, and one big tree
You can take what you can drive
But you can’t take the freedom from the guy
…And watch him fly
…He knows his rights

You won the race, no second place
Sweat and dirt, it’s all over his face
A small ride, for such a man,
but we don’t think…
We KNOW he can
…And watch him fly…He knows his rights

Handlebars, Handlebars
Slower than the cars
That pass you by
And you are ours
Off the road into the sky
We salute you now…BMX guy

2 Likes

Sweet voice. Like the guitars and keys intro. Not sure about the vox processing.
Interesting lyrics for sure. Me likes…congrats

1 Like

Yeah, I need to work on the vox. Issue with this one was that I needed to sing while I played to keep track of all the changes. Then I was stuck with an extra vocal (panned a little to the right with the guitar). This mushes things up a bit. I’ll try re-recording that guitar/ pulling out the one that has the vocal on it. Anything else that stands out? EQ maybe a bit harsh, probably tried to compensate for the mushy vocals.

1 Like

I was rushed with the first listen. A track came off my bulldozer and it bout killed me getting it back on. haha
folks here would tell you that i am not good at dissecting a track. That being said I usually just blurt my first feelings. I promised myself never to comment on vocals…instant conflict…not worth it. Your voice is pretty special and the delivery inviting. Try it once with nothing on the vox except maybe some EQ. Just for the heck of it. Track needs to be 2:30 + tho.
Andy might chirp??

1 Like

Great tune man, sounds perfect from where I’m sitting.
Shout out to all the old BMX dudes out there, I AM that guy (with a drivers license hehe).
You’re never to old to be a kid, in fact I recommend it.
Shamelessly posting my ride.

2 Likes

Haha! Sweet bike!
I had a GT Mach 1 with pro series cranks in college. It got stolen, so I moved up to the big boy cruiser size and still ride that around on occasion!

I definitely want to clean this tune up and make it intelligible, and run through another section and an outgoing chorus. Just need to find some time.

1 Like

That’s sick man, my dream bike as a kid was a GT Pro Freestyle Tour, but unfortunately it was only ever a dream sniff sniff.

To be honest, I kinda like the stripped back vibe. It’s almost like you get more of an emotional connection to BMX guy and his story.
Really looking forward to seeing where you take this one.

1 Like

I’m not your technical expert, but I enjoyed this little ditty as is. You sing it with lots of feeling and authenticity. When all you have is an acoustic guitar and a simple piano riff, vocal errors are exposed, but there weren’t any IMHO.

I never had one of these, but would have liked to. Love the handlebars!.

1 Like