Give Me Some Head.....room

So sad to see pride getting in the way of the value’s of whats been said yet again :slight_smile: Not pointing to any one speciffically, more then one is guilty :stuck_out_tongue: lol.

If for instance, some one is not listening to what you actually said (in your opinion) but just blindly talking back, for the sake of keeping the argument going (again, your opinion), and your pride gets a dent, then its actually just a “you problem”. By projecting that frustration into the argument, won’t help clear the dispute, ESPECIALLY in a chat/forum.

I switched my point of view of thinking “this is a valid point” every time I read a new response, just cause I get distracted by the personal text-war. If you can’t put aside your pride and just laugh a personal attack away, and just focus on the topic again without also putting a knife it one’s back in your response, please stop responding, CAUSE FOR A NEWBY LIKE ME, it is freaking hard to get valid information out of this. Why bother putting your energy into it anyway. At the end of the day, this is just a page you click away from.

As a wise Buddha one’s said, if I buy a present, but there is no one to receive it, the present stays mine. Same goes for your anger and frustrations. :beerbang:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone here would disagree with you there.
But you seem to think that being argumentative is a good quality.

Have to disagree. As for playground stuff: you started it. LOL

But that’s a good thing, surely? If both points of view seem valid, then the discussion is making good arguments.

In the literal sense, yes, there is nothing wrong with presenting a good argument, it’s the basis for good debate. If you mean quarrelsome, then no, I try to leave that crap to other people.

FFS do we really have to do this? OK then, so be it:[quote=“Midge, post:24, topic:1289, full:true”]
Sorry if my ignorance offended you, Mr @bozmillar .I thought most folks around here were polite and friendly. I suppose there have to be exceptions. I’ll revise my opinion.
[/quote]
You started it. Pot/kettle/black. You’re argumentative. Blah blah blah.

Look, if anyone is on this thread for the sake of calling people out, you’re not helping. I’ll state again: I want an answer as to why -0.3db is a preferred mastering level, when it’s known that ISPs rise well above that level on most - if not all - occasions. Does anyone have anything constructive to offer?

People don’t like it when long held beliefs, opinions and practices are challenged. They take it as an attack on them personally. For me, if something smells suspicious, I’m going to challenge it. If people didn’t challenge conventional wisdom nothing would ever get done, no progress would ever be made. If you don’t like that, fine, I’m not asking you to. I’m just trying to find the answers, and I don’t see anything wrong in that.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I was just saying what I see. I think Danny made really good points. What interests me is I’m definitely an amateur home mastering guy, have no expertise to speak of, but I already did bring the mix into my mastering process at around -3 to -6 db and then use that headroom to master up to the -0.3db.
The reason I did that was because if I mastered to 0.0, and then cranked up the volume when playing the final exported track, it started to distort. Doing it my way, I seem to avoid that.
The other trick I’ve started using is Meterplugs Dynameter. I find I can read that thing so that I can get my mixes loud as I need without losing dynamics and quality.

PS (Added in the edit) I always use Nugen so that I never allow my masters to have ISPs of any kind. ISL is the last thing on my mastering chain after the Gain. This means my stuff peaks at 0.3db. Is that perhaps the answer> Hell. I don’t know.

The 48000 thing interests me. I’ve always worked at 16/44 but hey, I’m willing to learn.

It honestly seems sometimes that you’re not.

Hey ho.

Oh Boy. This reminds me of my very first “argument” with Danny. Too be honest reading this I am not really sure what got AJ113 feeling that Danny was picking a fight. I’ve never known Danny to pick a fight. Even when I went at Danny “full arrogant Smith mode” about how superior analog gear was many years ago and gave him many opportunities to tell me that I didn’t know my @ss from my _____. He never did. I did not comment on this thread earlier because I know 2% of what Danny knows about this. Danny and Boz have given some fantastic technical info about your original question and Danny certainly didn’t need to commit the time he did to this thread. It seems like that has been lost here. Thanks everyone for the fantastic info that made my eyes glaze over:)

And I gave you the answers. 0dB in the audio world today is clipping. FACT!

Staying at -0.3 dB stops artifacts from entering your mixes that you obviously can’t hear. You may not know what to listen for…stuff like that is another reason mastering guys stay in business. You’re more worried about keeping up with commercial loudness and mixes over quality and what your ears hear for the material. That’s how you SHOULD be viewing this.

You lost all credibility when you mentioned commercial mixes. Be better than them…you set the bar…make people want to sound like you. Frig those other mixes. It’s not even much help to use reference mixes. They are good for you to identify with your monitors. To reference them to mix or master…lose/lose situation.

Why? Because you didn’t use the instruments verbatim that the mix you are comparing to used. The cymbals are not the same, therefore the high end curve is not accurate. The guitars they used are nor the same…the drum kit, the voice…I can go on and on.

Let me tell you a little something about commercial mixes. They are geared for ear buds! Most of the stuff I listen to today sounds like crap on all my good gear. Just about all of it. The newer rock and modern country bands are stepping away from major loudness where compression and limiting are the only effects used.

The new rock that almost sounds like early 70"s with the dry, raw, and “just room” sounds are at a sane, -10dB to -15dB RMS on average. And they should sound good on everything. They may be a little bass light with buds…but hey, I’m not like everyone else. I mix and master for the song and on good gear. My.life doesn’t revolve around ear buds…even if 90% of the world is using them.

Most of the other stuff needs to be so loud because ear bud systems need the push. They don’t get loads of bass, so extra bass is.added wihich turns to mud on a real system. A nice mix at -3dB then mastered correctly to -0.3 will not cap off like a pushed 0dB mix. You have nowhere else to go! How many times have I said this? And you say I don’t read your posts? I give up…why am I here…Brian, the things I do coz I live you mayan!

I told you to try it my way. I presented a factual argument that you disagree with yet you have never tried. You repeatedly ask for answers and when you get them, are so full of your pride and your wrong way of comparing that you will forever be testing for nothing while testing the wrong things.

Hmm…is that flaming or hard to swallow truth? At this point I don’t care. You are not going to sit here and accuse me of flaming when I’ve corrected you in an area you have admitted not knowing much about.

You’ve even apologized for some of your comments. I’m not apologizing for mine as I have done nothing wrong but correct you on your ignorance in certain areas. If you don’t know much about this, why debate me? Try what I’ve told you and let’s talk. That’s what should have happened here. But you seem to have all the answers. I can’t be the only one thinking this?

What is with this personal attack crap? I didn’t attack anyone. If so, why have I not been warned or banned? So let’s stop it with that stuff. If you want to fight or see real flames, we can do that too? I so hate being accused of stuff I didn’t do. That aggravates me.

So far, I have not seen AJ nor myself attack each other so I don’t know what DeRebel is talking about. AJ claims I’ve flamed him, but all I did was disagree with a man that would rather debate about nothing over discussing or trying what someone like me or anyone else was offering. That is not a flame. That’s is my personal assessment.

Since you’re new, DeRebel, and I mean this respectfully, it’s a good idea If you’re not going to name names…to not jump in and stir the pot of the conversation pointing fingers at “more than one”. I don’t know who you were talking about but I’ve contributed to this thread and could be someone you are referring to.

If you were implying me, I ask again…why didn’t a mod step in and correct me? But because you didn’t name names, you involved yourself in something that didn’t pertain to you. Understand?

As you can see, I’m a little peeved at this. I was asked to give an opinion and I’ve done that. I don’t care that people may not agree with it…but I gave it and shouldn’t have to deal with being accused of flaming or personal attacks when all I did was state facts and personal experiences.

I’d really like to go out on a high note and show you what real flaming is so you know next time to watch what you say. But I’ll refrain and just ignore all future posts and other things you have to say so we don’t have this problem and unfair accusation again.

I’ve seen you do this to other people on this forum. I’ve steered clear of your posts because I knew this would happen. Maybe it’s your English…maybe it’s because you don’t think before you speak…or maybe this is just how you are. Whatever the case, no worries, you won’t have to reply or have me participate in any of your threads again.

What’s sad is, we could have probably made something cool out of this thread and I could have told or taught you quite a few things to try…at least you may have come to the conclusions you seek in a better way. But at this point…you’ve burned that bridge. Your communication skills need far too much work for me to tolerate.

Thank you Paul! Respect and admiration, brother.

For what it’s worth, I learned some good nuggets from this thread and I appreciate the time you took @Danny_Danzi!!

[quote=“Danny_Danzi, post:48, topic:1289”]
You’re more worried about keeping up with commercial loudness and mixes over quality and what your ears hear for the material.
[/quote]You couldn’t be more wrong. I wouldn’t be able to stay in business if that was the case. Yes, I use reference mixes, yes I aspire to them, that doesn’t mean I don’t have the ability to produce good quality recordings.

It’s not even much help to use reference mixes.
[/quote]Speaking as an engineer/producer/mixer I disagree. Reference mixes are crucial to learning, and to keeping your own mixes in check. I never stop learning, and one of the ways I learn is by listening to - and using - reference mixes. [quote=“Danny_Danzi, post:48, topic:1289”]
Because you didn’t use the instruments verbatim that the mix you are comparing to used.
[/quote]That’s not important, reference tracks are not used to match instruments exactly, that would be futile. Use them to examine the spectrum, to check the loudness, to analyse the sounds of each mix element and the effects used, and - most importantly - to match up to the level of each instrument to the instruments in your own mix. Use them also to learn the typical characteristics of specific genres. Reference tracks are also a great way for artists to communicate with the producer. Instead of “I want a warm snare with a lot of zing to it” the artist can point to a reference track and say "That’s the type of snare I want"
You lost all credibility when you said it’s not much help to use reference mixes.

But you said that all commercial mixes are pure garbage. So now I’m confused.

If you don’t know much about this, why debate me?
[/quote]I said that I don’t understand the technicalities of the digital realm, i.e. the 0s and 1s.
So now we have that clarified, I’d just like to make it clear that I know a lot about recording, producing and mixing, it’s my job, so on those subjects I’ll debate you as much as I want, and on equal terms, if that’s ok with you? I mean for a start, we could start a separate thread to discuss your misguided views on reference tracks if you like?

Once again I will ask: why only -0.3db if ISPs go much higher? I’m not challenging you, I’m asking a question. That was the point of starting this thread, I want to learn the reason why. You’re saying ‘do it’ but you’re not answering my question. OK you’ve said that -0.3db prevents artefacts, but you’re not saying where those artefacts come from, and you’re not answering my question about ISPs.

Me too - awful isn’t it?

This is clear bait for a fight. I would prefer to not take the next step on moderating. I will if it continues.

[quote=“AJ113, post:51, topic:1289”] I said that I don’t understand the technicalities of the digital realm, i.e. the 0s and 1s. So now we have that clarified, I’d just like to make it clear that I know a lot about recording, producing and mixing, it’s my job, so on those subjects I’ll debate you as much as I want, and on equal terms, if that’s ok with you?
[/quote]

I won’t quote the other reDICKulous (emphasis on dick) stuff you posted because you’re just a man that really doesn’t deserve to be here. This place is a privilege.

As for s debate? You wouldn’t have a leg to stand on to debate me. Trust me, if I felt you were worth t, I’d obliterate you publicly and make you look worse than you have made yourself look already. Don’t kid yourself…get over yourself instead.

Here’s the answer to your debate. You think you know everything and everyone else is wrong. OK, you win the debate. Are you happy now? Good, so am I. Now go polish your lil trophy and preach to the masses that you are the guru of this site if that makes you feel better.

Your forked tongue is not only offensive, you really don’t know what you’re talking about when you speak. You’re actually entertaining me, don’t you see it? Reread your posts. They are comical. You’re really starting to sound like you’re more clueless than I thought you were.

Flaming now? Maybe a little…but I’m being honest and I owe you a few for being a Richard Cranium. Touche! The stuff you said about reference material really made me shake my head as well as laugh out loud. I won’t even rebut because you’re so far gone, it wouldn’t make a difference.

Is your hearing as bad as your communication skills? I said we’re done here and I will not answer you or give you any further information because you don’t deserve it. So stop demanding I answer you.

Now.Paul has gotten involved and pointed out that you are starting a fight. I guess he is flaming too. The site should handle you and I shouldn’t be here arguing back with you. People like you ruin these forums. I moderate a major forum of over 50,000 people. You would have been banned for the trouble you’re starting. And guess what…it’s not the first time. I’ve seen you get other people upset and draw them in with your sharp tongue.

Guys like you are the reason I stopped posting on forums. But you know, it’s not fair for people that happen to like what I have to say to have to suffer and not have me because of guys like you. Ain’t gonna happen.

Oh AJ…you could have had such a good friend in me. We could have tested so many cool things to help with your questions and learned together as a team if you would have only respected me with your replies and kept your know it all attitude locked in a box. Instead, you lose .

OK I promise I’m done now. I never break promises. I’ll unsubscribe from this thread so I don’t hear about it any longer. Sorry for the anger Bryan/Paul…this guy is just going too far.

You KNOW how true that is, Danny.

Plus 1 to that.

@Danny_Danzi am I right in suggesting that it’s because I work my masters up from way below zero (-3db to -6db is my level when I start mastering) and stopping at below zero that I avoid getting bad results when I turn up the volume on my finished tracks?

Frankly, I don’t NEED to understand why/how it happens, but I do know I change to doing that for my current album and it worked a treat.

Anyone else want to comment on the use of reference tracks? As far as I know most people here use them, and many professionals advise using them. I can’t remember anyone actually advising not to use them - especially on the basis of the instrumentation not being exactly the same.

Its still not clear to me, how to get some head around here…

I’ve been trying for years…

:slight_smile:

ROFLMAO
:beerbang: