Garden Wall

Well, I’m still building the garden wall, but I did take a break to write this song about it. I consider it folk rock I suppose. I will find the time to catch up on the songs in BTR one day soon, but any feedback welcome in the meantime!

Garden Wall by Steve Bancroft

We’re building a garden wall
About two foot tall
Six inches wide
Filled with dirt

We’re going to grow veggies
And spices and flowers
Exciting to watch them
From little seedlings spurt

A garden wall
We won’t have to bend down
Hides the ugly septic pipe
That gave us a frown

Now the view from our front door
By our garden wall is graced
And of the way it used to be
There seriously is no trace

Sometimes it’s a little thing
That was all that held you back
Sometimes you stumble
Sometimes you fall

Sometimes you look
And you know that you’re off track
But other times you see
Funny how a garden wall can make that be

So we’re building a garden wall
About two foot tall
Six inches wide
Filled with dirt

And spices and flowers
Exciting to watch them

A garden wall
We won’t have to bend down
Hides the ugly septic pipe
That gave us a frown

Now the view from our front door
By our garden wall is graced
And of the way it used to be
There seriously is no trace

Sometimes it’s a little thing
That was all that held you back
Sometimes you stumble
Sometimes you fall

Sometimes you look
And you know that you’re off track
But other times you see
Funny how a garden wall can make that be
Ooooh

We’re building a garden wall
About two foot tall
Six inches wide
Filled with dirt

And spices and flowers
Exciting to watch them

A garden wall, a garden wall, ooooh, a garden wall

1 Like

You took me on a journey and now I don’t know how to get home.
I would call this quirky, but in a very positive sense. I have to listen to the bass line a few more times; it sounds very adventurous. It definitely becomes the center of attention to me melodically in a few spots.
The recording is very good in that every element has a space of its own.
It was fun to listen to.

Ooh enjoying this Steve, a folk club vibe for me, almost a psychedelic feel and I’m loving the simplicity or the imagery… an echoing almost ache that feels very valid to me in these pandemic times… the important things can be small and huge at the same time. Nice canoodling bassline that ebbs and flows as the seedlings spurt.
Visual and cruisy, not sure what I would change… hmmm, perhaps the verse repetitions are one too many but on the other hand, they contribute to that dreamy folk-club feel so I’ll just settle back and enjoy the trip.
:sunglasses:

Good songwriting skills here @steban, this is smooth and edgy, simple and complicated all at the same time, something that is very hard to pull off. You have your own style and sound which is also hard to do.

As Emma says, “not sure what I would change”, but I think it would be neat if you had some short instrumental interludes here and there to break up the lyric flow just a bit.

Nice one!

After I read your response in March, Bob, I was inspired to make the Youtube video, so here it is!

I didn’t change the song at all.

I’ve been on a self-imposed hiatus, I suppose, Emma, and I’m very delighted to know you are still out there. I had been trying to write a new song on my new old laptop, and this was one attempt that wasn’t too weird. I have to admit, most new songs I start have nowhere to go.

Thanks, Ingo! I probably don’t always share the songs I pull off, but many times the newest song, whatever it is, is the one you like the best, even if it clearly is not in hindsight. And that might explain why it’s normal that we might sometimes try to collaborate on songs that are not so exciting.

steban,
Perhaps there was no intentional humor in the lyrics, yet I found some humor in the lyrics (not everyone sings about ugly septic pipes; yet it could be symbolic of something). Or I realize there might not be any symbolism at all. Not sure if the guitars are real or not; I suppose it does not matter. Your vocals remind me of Pink Floyd (good). I found the song entertaining, and that is all that matters! :slight_smile: