Funky Fever

Here goes…
I have to commit now. I’ve been working on details, mastering (or better: what I do that sort of goes somewhere in that general direction), etc. for two weeks now, and it’s not getting much better, so this is my FINAL version (you can hear older versions in the bashing section of the site).
FUNKY FEVER
The idea came from my observation that the original is - in a 50’s roundabout way - about sex, and lust. Pretty radical for the time I guess. And the message is quite late 60’s: fever (=lust) was there all the time, and a big part of historical (or literary) romances. Well, I just followed the line of reasoning a bit further back - all the way to the beginning of sexual evolution - some 2 billion years ago. The lyrics start off almost identical (with the difference that that in my version lust - not love - is even more obvious) and diverge as the song progresses.
Funkifying the song was an obvious choice, funk being the most sexy music I know (and love). So I had a lot of fun making it.

Here’s the song and the lyrics

Funky Fever

Does it matter if I love you
Does it matter if you care
‘Cause when you put your arms around me
There’s this fever rising up somewhere

You give me fever when you kiss me
Fever when you touch me light
Fever in the morning
Fever all through the night.

Sun lights up the daytime
Moon lights up the night
I light up when you call my name
Baby do you need a light?

You give me fever when you kiss me
Fever when you hold me tight
Fever in the morning
Fever all through the night

Everybody’s got the fever
That is something we all know
Fever isn’t such a new thing
Fever started long ago

When?

About two billion years ago
Life was pretty lame
‘till sex created difference
Lighting the first flame

And there was fever
Cells were touching
Fever in life’s youth
Fever became a big thing
Fever baby it’s the truth

When the earth, full of Dinosaurs
Was hit by a meteorite
The Dinosaurs they became extinct
Those little Mammals they’re all right

They got the fever, and out they come
Fever to survive their fate
Fever, mama’s suckling the young
While daddy he just wants to mate

Now you’ve listened to my story
Here’s the point that I have made
Life will give you fever
Be it Kelvin be it Centigrade

It gives you fever when it hits you
Fever if you live you learn
Fever till you sizzle
What a lovely way to burn

0 voters

2 Likes

Fever when you touch me lite…awesome. Like the vocal attitude of your singer. Big sound ya got goin bud. I like it. Love that wha and the radio vox part. This could be a part of a much larger production/broadway.
IMHO Be it kelvin or centigrade…ha ha And what note was that last sung word…way down there. Really enjoyed this. Can’t imagine why there have been no comments??? congrats

Paul

There were plenty of comments in his Bash thread Paul… :slight_smile:

Great stuff Evert!

Ha ha I take great pride in getting most things not right. Don’t worry, you’ll get there bud:)

Thanks for the good reviews guys.
Just realised I forgot to add in the voting thing. I thought it would be included automatically. Have to figure this out.
Edit: just figured it out. “America, your votes please” (insider joke for Europeans and Australians).

1 Like

I have to say, @Aef, you took this song concept in a humorous direction I never would have thought of. The idea of warm-blooded mammals over cold-blooded reptiles as a Darwinian evolutionary advancement, for being rather nerdily dry, was very fun, like a Ray Davies wittiness.

I especially like the big bass line, but the drums and lead guitar are kickass as well. Great pauses and jazzy funky chord deviations in the chorus were handled well.

It is quite a turn from the moody original!

Hi Aef!
Great job as I already mentioned on your preliminary versions.
Great effects, great sound, nicely hidden little ear candies that I discover every time I hear it. Nice slow built and interest.

If I had to nit pick, having the phrase “radio ready” in mind, perhaps I would shorten it a bit. Maybe an intro or even a whole verse.

Great work!
Good luck!

Yeah, it is a bit long. But then again, no longer than the original. For me a challenge to keep things interesting despite the number of verses. Anyway, I hope - this being the _Indie Recording Depot after all - that the jury doesn’t expect a chartbuster by todays standards. I think those standards suck (a lot of songs sound very much the same written by only a handful of songwriters, based on boringly simple chord progressions, mixed too loud, etc.).

Thanks again for your comments!

1 Like

Cool version. Interesting jazzy rock feel.

Lots of little things to like about this cover version. I like the humorous lyrics and many of the arrangements. Really like the way you changed the groove in the bridge. Sounds like you put some work into this.

There’s a few spots where the vocals are a bit off time with the music. I think it would sound better if those spots were tightened up.

Good job! :+1:

This video even names those 2 writers. :grinning:

Right on Evert! Nice job on this. Bonus points for originality on this one too! That was solid. You kept throwing new pieces in there, the arrangement never got old and you just kept it moving right along. Great performance and sounds… Great lyrics too! All that’s missing is Boosty on the bass. :sunglasses:

Everything comes thru clearly on the iPad Pro. Great mix.