For fans of heavy guitar

2 Likes

Interesting stuff. I liked when he played the stuff that sounded cinematic, the kind of the thing you hear in movies. Some of the discordant stuff is cool but thereā€™s some of it that I wouldnā€™t want to hear for too long. Creative and fun stuff

The guitarist in the video is wearing. a Vancouver shirt. Iā€™m wondering if this is another crazy Canuck. :canada:

1 Like

The guitarist here is Joe Parrish and heā€™s British. He joined Jethro Tull in 2019 but his own group is called Albion. The music is Stravinskyā€™s ā€˜Rite of Springā€™ which was written in 1913.

I like the music because it sounds fresh and contemporary; it is a long piece but it evolves and holds my interest even though it is over 100 years old. The power chords at 3:40 predate Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin by 55 years. Iā€™m sure Stravinsky would have loved having a Marshall stack.

1 Like

Another very interesting track! As a teenager I became interested in Stravinsky through Yes (from the last part of the Firebird played as an intro on stage to the live tripple Ɲes Album). I started listening to the whole Firebird suite and other pieces by Stravinsky including the Rite of Spring. I could understand where Yes got a lot of their ideas from! I particularly like symphony in C (which I had a very old recording of that had belonged to my grandmother!). I havenā€™t listed to this music for a long time. You need to really take your time.
Anyway, a guitar version of Rite of Spring is a great idea. Stravinsky became quite old if Iā€™m not mistaken. I just checked: 88. He died in 1971, so he just might have experienced the onset of progrock? Wonder what his reaction would have been.

1 Like

@Aef I didnā€™t realize Stravinsky had influenced Yes but now that you mention that it makes sense. His life was pretty limited by that time but had be been younger Iā€™m sure he would have been interested in it because he liked jazz great Charlie Parker and had planned on a collaboration which unfortunately never happened.

The story was that Mr. S went to hear Parker in a club and Parker, who was a Stravinsky fan, proceeded to quote melodies Stravinsky had written into his improvisational solos. Mr. S was quite impressed and they became friends but Parker was a junkie and pretty hard to deal with.

Oh I didnā€™t kow that! Great minds meeting: must have been interesting for both of them!

1 Like