Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall, Paul Simon 1965

Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall, written by Paul Simon and released in 1965.

Life does not last forever, and will eventually be worn down and wilt, just like flowers in the rainfall.
Cherish life, and provide nourishment, while consistently weeding around diligently, and keeping the relationship between family and friends strong and alive!!!
Peace and Love!!!

Through the corridors of sleep
Past shadows dark and deep
My mind dances and leaps in confusion
I don’t know what is real
I can’t touch what I feel
And I hide behind the shield of my illusion

So I’ll continue to continue to pretend
My life will never end
And flowers never bend
With the rainfall

The mirror on my wall
Casts an image dark and small
But I’m not sure at all it’s my reflection
I am blinded by the light
Of God and truth and right
And I wander in the night without direction

No matter if you’re born
To play the King or pawn
For the line is thinly drawn 'tween joy and sorrow
So my fantasy
Becomes reality
And I must be what I must be and face tomorrow

Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!!!

2 Likes

You found a song I never heard of Rene, with the Paul Simon ‘Flowers’. His real early stuff I guess. At least you were able to slip in a winter-time Hawaiian shirt again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Another great Don Henley song from that same era as “Heart of the Matter”! Listening now, and looking at the lyrics (on the interwebs), I get a whole other meaning for the song than way back then. I won’t elaborate, as it would take me way off on a tangent :wink:, but some of us no longer see the world as it was taught to us. Nowhere close.

1 Like

Hi Stan,
Thank you for the great comments!
The Hawaiian shirt is just hanging inside my Music Room, I have a couple ready to be worn for recording, hahahaha.
I made a mistake, and attached Heart of the Matter to my Paul Simon post, and I had go back to correct the mistake attachment!
It is OK to have many and varied beliefs, and understanding of our world today.
The key is “understanding” and respect.
Understanding and respect is not easily acquired by many due to pride and self-centeredness.
When I meet someone with a different point of view, it is simply a revelation of disconnection, and I am simply going to find other points of connections for civil and harmonious co-existence!!!
Understanding and respect, I will always try to inject in the midst!!!
Sorry, I got off-tangent myself.
With love and respect,
Rene

1 Like

When I read this sentence, I thought of René Descartes (another Rene!, pronounced “day-cart” IIRC), the French “father of modern philosophy” in the 1600’s. He is famous for proclaiming “I think, therefore I am.” He also went further into the nature of truth versus doubt. When we think something, it tends to define us, and it becomes our ‘reality’ in many cases. Unfortunately, it is too easy to assume that we are then in command of great knowledge, and everyone else should see reality the same as us. That was not the intention of course, it was only to point out that because humans can think for themselves, we might have a glimpse into possible realities.

To keep things on a simple level, that’s why I say (or suggest) - “Question Everything.” How do we know what we know? Who told us? What is the basis for this knowledge or belief? Is is logic, or emotion, or intuition? What motives might be behind some narratives? As we train ourselves to do this, I think it makes it easier to see that while we might individually be quite clever, there is much beyond our comprehension and true understanding. Therefore, we are much more capable of respectful conversation and debate with others who can do the same. And we might learn something, if we’re open to it!

We do need social tools to navigate conversations and relationships. Your statement reminds me of Thanksgiving Dinner among relatives. :grin: There is also sometimes the hard work of sharpening our (figurative) mental blade on the mind of another who sees things differently. If we can sense there is an openness to dialog, and we are prepared to challenge ourselves to be forged in the iron of pursuing truth, we can do this “Question Everything” in the midst of that conversation. There is no need to commit in the moment, only to consider and reflect. The choices are ultimately our free will.

“It’s the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle

“An open mind leaves a chance for someone to drop a worthwhile thought in it.” - Mark Twain

John 8:32
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

1 Like

Hi @Stan_Halen ,
Here is set of lyrics I quickly mustered as I try to complete a melody I gathered the other day.
The set of lyrics/subject was thought after a few lines of our conversation.
When I write lyrics, I do not pay any attention to rhymes to end words to match a setting.
I write to fill the melody and the space.
Which I know I need to improve on.
This is laziness or lack of proficiency on my part.
I have not been writing originals for about 2 months now, what a drought.
Take a peek, and feel free to add/alter.
At the end, the choice is still mine, hahahaha.
Seems like you have a great command of lyricism and wise words.
Maybe you can iron out my quickness and impatience.

The Rain

Remember, when we were smaller
Life is much simpler, were not polluted, trust has true meaning
Even, the rain is so special
We can still agree, we make things better, we always find a way

Now, that, we think that we know the world
Somewhere, somehow, a lot of things get twisted
People, can change the way they see `
Why can’t we all believe that love can set you free
Love can set you free
If only understanding can beheld
Respect for others can go a long long way

A lifetime, seems forever,
Time passes by so fast, a minute, year and decade gone
Listen, the rain is still special
We can find the truth, in family, friends, and even neighbors too

Sometimes, when things go crazy
Life can bring about / hatred and darkness, no light we can see
Remember, rain is so special
Get soaked in true humility and give forgiveness, that’s the way

Input or no input, you are so appreciated, Stan!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

1 Like

Yes, the choice is still yours. :slightly_smiling_face: I can only offer.
Rhyming and such require patience. Droughts always end with rain.

This is my quick interpretation. Not knowing the rhythm/cadence of your song, this is only a perspective:

Remember, when we were much smaller
Life was much simpler, not much taller
Even, the rain is so special
We make things better, only essential

Now, that, we think that we know the world
Somewhere, somehow, it all gets unfurled
People, can change the way they see
Why can’t we all believe, love can set you free
If only understanding can behold
Respect for others can go forth

A lifetime, seems forever,
Time passes by so fast, almost never
Listen, the rain is still so special
We can find the truth, ever initial

Sometimes, when things go crazy
Life can bring about, clarity, and things so hazy
Remember, rain is so special
Get soaked in true humility and give forgiveness, well

1 Like

Thank you, @Stan_Halen ,
Your work is lovely.
I will have to check with my cadence, and will try to keep as much substance and rhyme in my final score!!!
You are, definitely, the man!!!
Thank you!
With love and respect,
Rene

1 Like

I also never heard this one, Rene, but Paul’s sentiments in poetic lyrics are always heartfelt. This may not be the hit but was worth hearing.

So The End of Innocence was very mellow, Rene. I think you delivered this one gushing with authenticity.

Recordings sound perfect!

1 Like

Hi Steve,
I am glad to have delivered this Paul S classic to your musical ear!!!
And thank you for your listen, and wonderful comments!!!
“Delivered, using with authenticity” is a pure compliment, and my heart is warmed throughout!!!
Stay well, and keep healthy!
I am so glad that we are vaccinated, as well!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

Rene,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your video of ‘End of the Innocence’: one of Henley’s better songs. You give a different vibe than the original for sure. Guitar playing and heartfelt vocals all sound very good! :). You make it look easy, but I know it’s not easy!

1 Like

Hi Aaron,
Always love when I get these wonderful comments from you!
Don Henley’s songs are so meaningful, maybe because his hits are songs from. my prime years.
Thanks for the great compliments!
Love and respect,
Rene