Every Tree. Sort of alt country with strings?

I wrote the song mid 90’s. It’s an important song to me, but I won’t try and explain why. For years I’ve been imagining what I’d do with the song, which instruments to use, how to arrange them, etc. I didn’t dare start recording till I had enough confidence not to make a complete mess out of it. I dare say it’s pretty pompous, but so is one of my CSNY/ Neil young favourites “Country Girl”. I’m sure I didn’t have that song in mind when I wrote it, but as I got into recording I realised the resemblance. By the time I got to recording the blues harp (which I use often anyway) I knowingly added a part over the top of the orchestra at the end, just like in Neils song.

Technically I don’t have any specific things I’m not happy with. I guess the mix is probably way to full but I like it… It’s not as bad as Phil Spector’s wall of sound. When I get to mastering I’ll use Country Girl as a reference track. Haven’t done any mastering on this one yet (just a limiter on the mixbus).

Oh by the way, I tend to use stock (Reaper) or and freebee plugins (except Addictive Drums). I didn’t have any decent strings in my VST collection till I found the completely free VSCO2 Orchestra by Big Cat Audio. I’m sure the big names are even better, but for me this was a find. The instruments by themselves are not quite 100% convincing, but in a mix… What do you think?

Anyway, bash away. Thanx for taking the time!

Because of some technical problem I’ve added the soundcloud link:

Edit: After careful listening after all your comments I found that a few tracks needed to be re-tracked (or fixed). Apparently several tracks had sloppy timing… I think that, more than anything made a mess of this dense mix. Afterwards I remixed with some drastic and some more subtle EQ cutting. Also lessened the reverb.

Still can’t upload from my laptop. So I added a new link to Soundcloud. Spot the differences :sunglasses:
I wonder if It got any better. Bash away!

https://soundcloud.com/user-720511087/every-tree-mix-2

unfortunately there is no song file with the post.

@Aef, have a link to the file? Or can you upload it? If you need a hand, let me know!!

I’ll bet Aef just forgot to do the upload, like forgetting to attach the file to an email… happens all the time!

Very much looking forward to hearing this after reading the description. :violin:

1 Like

Or it could be that he doesn’t have enough posts yet… Aef, I know this site has different parameter for when you get certain privileges…

That is it, Aef you need 3 more posts to be able to upload! That is a cakewalk ! (10 is the minimum amount to have)

Strange, I uploaded it and I got some sort of affirmation it was uploaded…

Ah that could be the problem

Well is is reply number 3, so I’ll try again…:satellite:

Still not working. Just one more post Sorry to bug you with meaningless posts :cold_sweat:

I’ll do one more try (11th post now) and see if anything happens. Otherwise I think I might need some help Holster.

No clearly no show… Strangely it takes a while to upload and then I get the message ‘saved’.

I’m going to test this in just a bit. I’ll see what’s going on

@holster , is the minimum posts 10 or 15…Aef is at 14, give one more post then try to upload…sorry

Well here goes number 15…

Hang on @aef. It’s not on your end. It’s on the server. The file you’re uploading is too big. I need to make a change and it’ll work after that. In the meantime, you can either upload to soundcload and attach the link OR reduce the mp3 to 192k OR just standby :wink:

Here’s the soundcloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-720511087/every-tree-mix-2

that worked perfectly :thumbsup:

Should I aim for slightly smaller files in future?

how big is the file? I’m just curious