Endless Thirst (Soundtrack)

A simple cinematic track for dry arid scene set in ancient times.
Instruments used: Bamboo Flutes, Tabla, Synth Pad

1 Like

Yeah that is banging. It has a really nice build up that increases the energy of the situation nicely. I love the dry arid vibe you are getting with the synth pad. I think you get the ideaā€¦ I like it.

1 Like

I feel thirsty just listeningā€¦ now where can I find a beer? :beerbanger:

1 Like

Mmm nice and atmosphericā€¦ very evocative sounds.
Iā€™m only able to listen via my laptop at the moment and found the entry Tabla a little dry at first in that I was only getting the hit and no depth in contrast to the rich flute sounds - e.g. at .46"
Very likely to be the less-than-optimal playback system but thought Iā€™d mention it as it caught my ear. As things grew in the arrangement, it was no longer an issue.
Really nice and moodyā€¦ enjoyed!

1 Like

This is really cool. I like how that resting note that you go back to often in the beginning only makes a few shorter appearances after the start. Not sure if that makes sense but it would have become monotonous if you had not, but the shorter notes are a nice nod to that intro.
My only criticism is that it felt like it just stopped rather than ā€˜finishedā€™. It just needs a nice trailing note to round it off.
Very cool (orā€¦hot?) stuff!

I think it sounds good. I think the only thing I would change is to take out some of the grit from the bamboo flutes. It sounds like itā€™s very closely micā€™d. I can almost feel the spit bouncing of the mic diaphragm. I think you could take off some of the high end without sacrificing the tone of the flute.

1 Like

Very nice how you defined a mood and setting ( and thirst could be a symbol of many things ) with simple tools and a short time. Not easy to do.

1 Like

It is closely micā€™ed indeed. Intentionally to record the abrasive wind rattling the bamboo.

I was going to say that I love the bamboo flutes! I often donā€™t like wind instruments like flutes because theyā€™re too smooth and clean. I love the grit. Listen to Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) mistreat his flute to make it rock :sunglasses:

This track does a good job of setting the scene.
Actually, my first instrument was a bamboo flute. I was 7 or maybe 8 years old. Had to make the flute myself first, then had one lesson on how to play it. I still have it somewhere, but the bambooā€™s split open. Love the sound a lot more than any recorder!

1 Like

big fan of Ian Anderson. Acres wild was the track that got me into flutes. I started classical training and the classical teachers (the ones I trained with) despised Ianā€™s technique of overblowing and called it a " no-no " in the flute world. I didnt quite agree with them then, and dont now. Overblowing has become quite the classical defiant genre these days. Many Jazz improv professionala purposefully have a flute keyed to 443 Hz as opposed to concert pitch for that slight offkey ā€œtrendyā€ overblowing.

Hey, very nice piece of music, it sounds very good to me and has that soundtrack feel that work pretty.
Is this something that designed for a particular video or just for the pleasure of writing music?
At first, there is some rumbling very low in the background (synth pad) I found odd since I didnā€™t understand its purpose: an ambiance (I wish it would be more obvious or has some movements during the song, like wind would do), a drone (it should be more obvious then), a signature sound (dunno it supposes to mean), something elseā€¦ In the middle of the song, I hit pause to see if itā€™s something coming from my sideā€¦
The second thing Iā€™m not sure, the flute playing, and as a flute player, I suppose itā€™s not coming from a sample library. But being the main actor in this song I wish there is more ā€œlifeā€ in the first part, like vibrato (like 1:05), or breathing.

By the way, very nice writing and recording, as usual!

1 Like

It is for a documentary for a friend.
The sound in the background is for subtle ambiance.
And good feedback on the flute playing. Its a piece I had written a long time ago, that fit the theme and I decided to use it. They were from multiple takes. I am still learning the bamboo flute technique and vibrato is hard to do on heavy bamboo flutes for me. Though still possible I can barely do the pitch bends :sweat_smile:

So, congrats for the performance, it sounds as you mastered it long time agoā€¦

1 Like

Sounds really good to me! I like the atmosphere of the whole thing. The only thing that grabbed my attention in a negative way, was the abrupt ending. I would have rather heard that plane landing a little more slowly and gently.

I love using these kind of Arabic sounding scales when soloing and sitting around diddling on my guitar. Really fun to play on the guitar and theyā€™re very moody!

1 Like

FluteCafe,
Your song sounds good to me! It definitely sets a mood. Iā€™m sure it would work best with something visual, such as the documentary you mentioned. Or not a documentary. :slight_smile: I donā€™t play the flute so I canā€™t comment on playing technique. I play harmonica once in a blue moon; it is tricky to bend notes with the harmonica. I would describe it, but it might sound vulgar. Not sure if a similar technique is used with a flute.

Aef/FluteCafe,
In a recent (maybe the latest) issue of Prog magazine, there was an amusing article about Jethro Tull winning a Grammy for Best Heavy Metal record (or similar). After they got the Grammy, Jethro Tullā€™s record company had an advertisement saying the flute is a heavy metal instrument, as kind of a joke.

1 Like