Eleven Rack... is it worth $199 for non Pro-Tools users?

ASIO should handle this, no matter what devices you’re using. For example, in Reaper go to Preferences | Device | ASIO Configuration and you can choose your clock source. I would imagine all DAWs have a similar setup.

It’s not a driver thing. It’s part of the spdif spec. Any unit transmitting a digital signal needs to be either a host or a slave, and the slave should get it’s clock from the spdif signal. If it can’t sync to the clock, you get glitches.

I tried both directions (host/slave) and both caused the same clock sync issues. That tells me there’s something else going on.

1 Like

This guy seems to like :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha. His description of Avid is pretty accurate. I think they are losing the ability to treat their customers the way they would like to because so many other companies have come up that are so much better at it.

1 Like

Yeah what he’s saying sure sounds awfull :thinking:

Unfortunately Avid uses the same business model for products other than pro-tools. They can get away with it on pro-tools, because it is the defacto standard in recording software, but outside of pro-tools, they have competition and need to re-evaluate their business model.

1 Like

Pro-tools seems to be the standard indeed, but is that realy because its the best daw, is it because it was the first some what stable daw or . . . ? Cause I gues software like cubase and such are at least as decent now ?

I don’t think that question is even debated any more, at least not in any meaningful sense. Different DAWs are good at different things. Most people in the industry use Pro Tools. Everyone should use what they prefer.

Do you know what cubase is particularly good for ? Just interested cause I use cubase, but I use maybe 20% of the software, if I even get to that.

Nope, I don’t use cubase. I’m pretty deeply entrenched in Reaper at this point and it would take a pretty life changing set of features for me to bother pulling myself out of it.

I believe it was the first. See link for timeline. They became the biggest because they kept scaling up and targeting the pro audio industry at every step. At first, DAW solutions were rather expensive, mostly used by large studios, so money was no object in a sense. When studio owners saw that their tape machines would someday become obsolete (for the most part) they began switching over to digital. The fact that Digidesign (now Avid) offered integrated software and hardware was probably a selling point at first - it eliminated uncertainty about what hardware (interface) products to use. As soon as Pro Tools was embraced by hobbyists and project studios, this became a despised limitation, which eventually forced Avid to open the lower tier products to the interface of your choice.

I think PT just managed to sucker enough studios by giving out endorsements to the big name guys at the time.

1 Like