Drive, by The Cars 1984

“Drive” is a song by American rock band the Cars, released on July 1984.
Written by Ric Ocasek, the track was sung by bassist Benjamin Orr.
Upon its release, “Drive” became the Cars’ highest-charting single.

The song is most associated with the July 1985 Live Aid event, where it was performed by Benjamin Orr during the Philadelphia event.

Dedicated to all our beloved young and talented working class!!!
Hope, Peace and Love to all!!!

Feedback appreciated.

5 Likes

I like yours better than the original. Lots more emotion. Perfect chords for that upper register of yours without the strain. Old burly man can sing man. ha

1 Like

Really nice Rene. The Cars are a favourite of mine. Well done!

1 Like

Hi Paul,
Your comments are so loved.
I am always looking for a word or two from you, and you always deliver!
Your solid support and inspiration is like a rock, you are so appreciated my friend!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

Hi Andrew,
This classic is a fav, as well, and love the Cars.
You are always a treat to hear from, and you are so appreciated.
Warm regards,
Rene

nice performance Rene!

Always a blessing to hear you
jamming out a tune!

1 Like

Hi studio,
Always a pleasure to hear from you, studio!!!
Hope Los Angeles cools down a bit!!!
Thank you as always!!!
Rene

Beautiful version, Rene! Soulful, as usual. What I found interesting is that I got more meaning from the lyrics listening to your slower tempo rendition, and your soul/emotion pouring out through them. The original is a lovely song, of course, but your live version has more ‘rawness’ to it than the original heavily produced recording. It truly touches the heart.

1 Like

This post warms my heart!!!

You know how to touch a soul, and I am so grateful for your wonderful words.
Maybe the slower tempo and the distinct and clear enunciation of the words give focus on the message.
Thank you so much, Stan!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

1 Like

Rene,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your recording: I wondered how you’d pull this off because the original was loaded with tons of synths and a lot of tracks. The Cars are one of my favorite bands. I own the LP this song is on. It took me a while to get used to the ultra-polished sound on the LP, previous Cars albums had more of an edge to them. Your guitar sounds fine, and I think the highlight of the recording is your vocals: they sound quite heartfelt and very well done! Nice cover! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Aaron,
Truly beautiful feedback, on this wonderful post!
I do not own this LP, and was not fully aware of all the synths and complex production of this classic.
The Cars are a legend and a frontrunner in music production, ahead of their time.
Thank you so much for the huge compliment, and you always put a big smile on my face.
With love and respect,
Rene