Drag Me Down [extract]

Here is another mix while trying something else: reaching something squashed (or sort of) while keeping seperation, width, depth, room, punch… all at once :slight_smile:
The goal (and the reference track) is the well-known “How You Remind Me” which pretty hot (dynamic-wise) but I’m pretty confident I didn’t reach that but I don’t really understand why.

If you have any clue and tip, please share.

ncls,
Thank you for reviewing my music! Now listening to your short music clip. Since I am a notorious name dropper, I have to mention this: long ago, I performed in a rock band at Gazzarri’s in Hollywood. Later that night club went through ownership changes (and the nightclub name changed too). Later on Nickelback would perform there. I own the CD that “How You Remind Me” is on; I think it’s their best CD overall. I read an article about the recording of that CD. I think the electric bass sounds great at times on that CD. Instead of using a microphone for mic-ing the bass amp, they used a bass amp and/or bass cabinet to mic the bass amp. I don’t think I’ve heard of that before or since then. I spent a bit of time googling that technique & found nothing today. They could pick up some really low frequencies that way. Anyway, I think the audio quality of your mix is very good! I wouldn’t know how to make it sound any better. :slight_smile:

(months later…)
Thanks for your comment where I don’t really understand what you meant with

A bass cabinet in front of another bass cabinet, one for “miking” and one playing? Like the NS10 woofer used to get extra low end on kick drum??

Meanwhile, I tried to enhance the mix (less bass guitar mainly, a bit more high end) and keeping a pretty hot signal (-7 dB LUFS)

Does this mix translate well somewhere else? Let me know.

ncls,
It sounds good to me! OK, I am going by memory here; I read this a long time ago. Normally you would mic a bass amp with a microphone. But what Nickelback did on some of their songs they “miced” a bass amp with some sort of bass amp (not sure if it was a combination amp and cabinet, or just the cabinet). It is kind of like an electric motor: you give it electric power, and the output shaft turns. But you can take that electric motor, turn the output shaft, and the motor becomes an electric generator. So in the case of micing a bass amp with some sort of bass amp, the sound waves from the first bass amp creates pulses of air pressure, which would vibrate the other bass amp speaker, which generates an electric signal. I read that speaker can pick up low frequencies that a regular mic would not. At least that is what I read. Somehow you take that signal and put it into the mixing board. I’m not suggesting you should try that, because for all I know you would damage the mixer. I’m sure you would have to know what you are doing with voltage, amps, and impedance, I am guessing. Like the NS10 woofer used to get extra low end on kick drum?? I would imagine yes.

Thanks for your comment and your intel.
I was looking for this Nickelback bass amp micking but didn’t find something relevant…

By the way, it reminds me Jack Stratton (from Vulfpeck) speaking thru headphones, as it was a regular mic…

Yeah, I tried googling that the first time I replied regarding this. And I didn’t find anything.

1 Like