Dont let go , mix. Artist, James May

Something a bit lay back

I like it! Nice stereo image. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that the voice sounds a little auto-tuned in places and it doesn’t seem to suit the song. The piano, horns, and flutes (if I have that right anyway) also seem a little loud for me. But only maybe. They do cover up the vocal just a little, but it sounds pretty nice for the song.

1 Like

I never used auto tune myself. Thanks for having a listen.

I wonder if what @Cristina thought may be auto tune was double tracked vox? That’s really the only thing that sounded “different” to me. I really liked the bass.

1 Like

Nice recording and song!
The mixing is quite balance to me, the really thing that bother me is the stereo choice of the ambient mics, I found way to wide and it lets the center a bit empty.
Regarding what Mike does with this mix, I found that a less wider ambiance let more space to individual instrument to go from side to side more easily.
I also wish to get a bit less mud because I found overall sound a bit dull at the end with some kinda blurry definition (??).

Nice job by the way!

mud ? I cant hear any mud. Where did you hear a Mike mix of this ?

I think you could cut at bit at 150 Hz to tame the bass a little.
For the mix from Mike Senior, here there are: one extract or full song :+1:
I hope it could help.

1 Like

Blimey they are pretty close when A-B them

Made a couple of small cuts in low end

Ok then, see you next time!

1 Like

This is very well done! Well written, sung, played, and recorded. Sounds sort of bossa, and some nice chord melody there as well. You must be a well schooled player. Can you tell us how much of this is plugins and how much is live recording?

1 Like

Hi Good feel to this. Got my head goin back and forth. Great variety in your melody line. The vox has a little something that isn’t quite right. Not sure what it is? Your voice is excellent, but is is some kinda trebble rasp that is just a tad too much. Take that with a pound of sal bud.

Paul

Thanks all for the feedback .Please note I only mixed the song not any playing or anything else .

Be nice to note that up front, maybe give the artist a plug?

1 Like