Does this amp setting sound like a violin?

I have a new song i am working on that needs some strings. I use a setting on my line 6 am called “swell” that has and unusual sound and i was just wondering if it sounds like a violin. Also does it work as a substitute for strings? It might have to be turned up a bit too It starts at 55 seconds and goes until 1:30 Thanks for your precious time

Sincerely

Paul

3 Likes

Doesn’t completely sound like one, but I don’t think I’d notice if you hadn’t told me. Your masculine voice is covering it up pretty well so that it is ambiguous, like my relationship with @Wicked. I dig it. But my God, that sounds SO familiar. What could it be?

1 Like

I REMEMBER NOW (pun intended for the enlightened)!

It’s the ending of I Don’t Believe in love and the beginning of waiting for 22 by QR. The studio version cuts in too late, so here’s the live version. Shouldn’t have taken me so long, one of my favorite albums ever.

Hi I kinda like using it, but it is a “wicked” beast to tame. You have to guess when to pluck the string and there is like a second and a half delay. One needs many takes to get it right. It also does not allow you to hit notes quickly. Gets this repeating thangy. ha ha Just wondering if that sound would fly or not. Thanks much

sincerely

Paul

1 Like

I hear you on this. My riff is quite different (and not as good) Sounds like he has a lot of processing going on there. Your are quick bud :slight_smile:

Paul

Now that I think of it, that song wasn’t it. There’s a different somber metal tune I just can’t think of for the life of me.

1 Like

Your voice reminds me a bit of Alice Cooper when he sings softly.

The guitar swells are very subtle …, or maybe I’m just really tired. I would turn up the volume for that part just a little bit more. I’m not sure whether I would think they’re guitar swells, violins, or synths if you hadn’t mentioned them.

2 Likes

Hi Paul,

I think the ‘strings’ sound is great, its like a nice bass synth tone adding some depth i like it.
The only problem i have with this song is the first two chords sound exactly like Eminems ‘loose yourself’ but appart from that good work.

1 Like

Hi E That is funny because I haven’t ever listened to one of Eminems songs. Don’t know what he or she looks like or sounds like. Spoken like a true old fart. There are only so many chord patterns our there, i suppose one or two would be duplicated. Thank you for listening and you 2 cents

Sincerely

Paul

1 Like

Hi Wicked guy I will turn them up a bit and get some rest bud. Easy to say from a retired person. I do remember the rat race tho. thanks for your input

Sincerely

Paul

2 Likes

Wait till after the piano intro…

Wow, yes I think those are the first two chords back and forth. I have three, so I guess mine is better right? haha His is a stabbing accent, mine is note picking. His made millions mine won’t. ha ha

Thanks, now I know who this dude is and his sound

Paul

Whatever that sound is you’re using Paul, it sounds good and it fits the vibe, so I would declare victory on that one…

I’ve used a similar effect to that guitar swell, it’s pretty cool! And btw I think this is an excellent song man!! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks CW good to hear you have used that too. I said I was going to try and play the violin, but others have discouraged that. ha ha The best to you old friend

Paul

By the way your song is much better than eminems. His is just some studio loops and trickery with rapping over it.
Yours has a nice nick cave essence of darkness about it :+1:

1 Like

i just told my granddaughter about your comment and she said " YOU DON’T KNOW WHO THAT IS…GRAMPS, GET WITH IT" ha ha Yes, I have a few shades of darkness in me:) Thanks guy

Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul - hey woooh!!! This is sounding coolllll and yes, there is definitely a strings ambiance coming through from those sounds… reckon they sound great! I often use the ‘suggestion of a sound’ idea… it doesn’t have to BE strings, just to suggest them and it works really well… liking this song a lot! And hey… your voice is sounding great!

1 Like

Hi Emma Yes, I have been messin with some different sounds. Kinda like you with the drum thing and cows. ha ha I do have to get out of this dark stuff. I tried, but this sound just wasn’t real positive. I went to the post office today and got the info I need to send you this thangy i bought. Ha ha Take care bud

Paul

1 Like

It’s really subtle, and low in the mix to me. If you want, you can also roll the tone almost all the way down on the guitar, and use a wide vibrato while you fade it in with the volume control. That gives a little more of a violin sound than the swell, which is more of a backwards effect to me. The beginning of White Room from Cream is 4 tracks of the method I’m suggesting if that’s what you are looking for. A lot more work, of course, but a cool sound. Nice start on the tune, it has a lot of heart in it, as I hope you do too.

1 Like

Wow, i actually understand what you are saying. Usually I just think Huhhh??? ha ha I haven’t ever tried that before. I am on vacation for a week, but will hit that when I get back home. My heart in the last few days is doing really good. Thanks for the feedback guy

Paul