Does anyone here work in I.T.?

Hey, weren’t a few of you guys I.T. pros?

Has anyone worked with VMware or hyperV server virtualization software? Thoughts on one vs the other? Hows the learning curve?

Ultimate goal would be to in-house server clusters for hosting thin-client multi-player video game betas, but I would also like to park audio sample libraries, video, and graphic content on a central repository in the recording studio as well (obviously not on the same server though).

Was looking at the OWC Jupiter Callisto a while back…but passed purely because of the $20K pricetag. I have since been advised to pursue open source options.

~sigh~ now back to my lowly game design courses :confused:

I come from a 20+ year IT background. I know a few others here do also. Anyway, I’ve used VMWare quite a bit. Worked well for what I was doing.

20 years?! I thought you were in your twenties. Years have been a lot kinder to you than me. I’ve some background, but I didn’t want to do it as a profession because I was worried I would stop enjoying technology.

Aw cool. I didn’t know that! Any thoughts on Powershell for command line scripting and automation? Some of my friends recommended learning it.

Almost 20 years in IT here. A couple of quick thoughts.

VMware is probably a bit more robust and versatile. Hyper-V is, in general, easier to configure and administer - especially if IT isn’t a your full time thing.

However - I have no idea which would be the best environment for virtualizing instances specifically for video games.

@Calebz, @holster, can you guys take a quick look at the specs on an Avid Nexis…those things are $14,000. I see the specs (and don’t know what half of them mean). I also can’t get a strait answer out of anyone about what they do any different or better than any other server that has been properly designed and has had an IT expert come in and custom code an operating system specifically around your workflow.

https://www.videoguys.com/avid-nexis-pro-40tb-engine-with-dell-n2024-switch.html

I’ve actually used the ISIS system which was the predecessor to the Nexis. Matter of fact, I heard they only changed ISIS to NEXIS because of the terrorist group lol.

The Patriot Act has me too scared to even type that name, or do any research about them. I’m just curious, but our corporate police state has prevented me from doing any digging. I don’t even feel comfortable typing their religion.

I don’t have much experience with virtualization other than using some machines hosted on HyperV and making the occasional snapshot. I know that one of my colleagues much prefers VMWare over HyperV but I don’t have his set of reasons to back it up. :slight_smile:

I am just starting to dig into PowerShell myself. It’s very tightly coupled to just about everything Windows and there are lots of modules that can be added. I just completed a few minor scripts that allow our users to start and stop an Amazon Web Services virtual machine on demand (normally they would have to log into the web administration console to do this.) I’ve also used it a tiny bit with MS IIS web servers to pull lists of web application data as well as quickly set up new web applications in our testing environment. If your working in a Windows environment then PowerShell is probably a good skill to learn.