Deadmau5 Masterclass

I keep seeing the trailer for this on youtube every time I get on it…

I’m not much of an EDM guy, but I’m half-tempted to shell out the money to check this out. There are others available that’d be better suited for me, but this one seems really interesting. It’s cool to get perspective from top people in certain genres. I love his approach too. He seems like a no :poop: kind of guy.

2 Likes

Yeah there have been a few masterclasses that have interested me and this is definitely one of them. and i don’t even listen to his music.

Same here! But from the looks of it, I’m pretty sure I’d pick up quite a bit from it. I’m still heavily considering it.

1 Like

I don’t have the time right now so it is an easy decision for me. But let us know if you do. i would love to hear how you find it.

Where can these be purchased? Viewed?

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/deadmau5-teaches-electronic-music-production

1 Like

I imagine there are other artists doing this, will check it out.

1 Like

has anyone tried any of the slate versions of this sort of thing? im sure they did a load the other year id be interested to hear if any of you guys bought/ watched any of them?

I never did. I’m sure they’re good, but they way he talks on videos comes across very schmuck(ish). I have a hard time taking him serious. It’s unfortunate since they make decent stuff.

1 Like

I feel like their advertising budget must be enormous, I see stuff about it so much. Interested in it and the Hans Zimmer one, so if anyone takes it, post a review!

1 Like

Yes… the Hans Zimmer one is very intriguing and I don’t really have any interest in scoring movies… :slight_smile:

Me too. I…might be taking that if it looks worth while.

I respect deadmou5. There’s gonna be a lot of stuff I already know. Is it worth $90 to learn something new? Probably. Go for it.

INTRODUCTION
Welcome to the deamau5 studio. Meet Joel, the man behind the mau5head, and learn what he’s got planned for your class in electronic music production.
THE DEADMAU5 PROCESS: THEORY
It’s all about experimentation. Learn Joel’s unique approach to the music creation process and how to get the most out of your time in the studio.
THE DEADMAU5 PROCESS: PRACTICE
Get in the studio and watch how deadmau5 music takes shape in real time: from an empty project to beginnings of a track.
BUILDING YOUR HOME STUDIO
Ready to start building out your home studio and making tracks of your own? Here’s Joel’s advice for what gear you need and what you don’t.
DEVELOPING MELODIC STRUCTURES
Whether you’ve had musical training or not, you can use these deadmau5 techniques to start drawing melodies into your DAW and creating loops that resolve.
TURNING MELODIES INTO ARRANGEMENTS
Here’s how deadmau5 takes basic chord structures and spreads them out across different instruments to make full arrangements including bass parts and leads.
INTRODUCTION TO SYNTHESIZED SOUNDS
Once you’ve got a chord structure and an arrangement, it’s time to build the unique instrumental sounds that give your track its character. It all starts with learning the basics of synthesis.
EXPERIMENTING WITH MODULAR SYNTHS
Don’t be intimidated by the wall of knobs and flashing lights. For deadmau5, modular synths are all about messing around and finding unexpected sounds. Watch how he builds and tweaks his patches from scratch.
DIGITAL VS. ANALOG SYNTHS
Analog synths are a big part of the deadmau5 sound and a great way to add creative elements to your productions. Hear the difference for yourself when Joel plays some of the same patches on digital and analog equipment.
SHAPING SOUNDS WITH EFFECTS AND PROCESSING
Learn how deadmau5 puts life back into tired presets, builds big stereo images and fattens up his basses using plug-ins and effects processors.
BEATS: PART 1
The kick drum is the heartbeat of an electronic music track. Learn how Joel layers his kick drum samples to lay the groundwork for big, danceable grooves.
BEATS: PART 2
Dive deeper into deadmau5’s rhythmic techniques, with lessons on snare sounds and a closer look at the drums tracks in Snowcone.
STRUCTURING SONGS
You’ve developed your chord structure, arranged it with exciting synth sounds and added drums – now deadmau5 shows you how to combine all those elements into an exciting song
REMIXES
Learn how deadmau5 works when he’s remixing other artists, and what he likes to hear when other artists remix him.
MIXING
Good producers need to know how to write original music and how to mix it to sound great. Here are some important techniques Joel uses to shape his tracks in the mix.
MASTERING
Unlike a lot of other artists, deadmau5 masters all of his music himself. Learn the basics of his approach to gain structure, EQing and limiting.
MASTERING CASE STUDY: SNOWCONE
Go plugin by plugin through Snowcone’s master chain and hear how each piece is affecting and honing the track’s sound.
STARTING YOUR PRODUCING CAREER
Joel puts on his label-manager’s-hat to talk about what he looks for when he’s signing up and coming EDM artists, and offer advice about how develop your brand and promote it the right way.
UNDERSTANDING THE MUSIC BUSINESS
Major labels can be major headaches, or worse. Here’s some of what’s Joel’s learned about navigating the logistics of a recording career.
ON STAGE: THE MUSIC
It takes effort and planning to play a set that’s creative and keeps your audience engaged. Here’s how to take your music from the studio to the stage.
ON STAGE: THE TECHNICAL SIDE
Gigging and touring as an EDM artist means learning and managing lots of gear. These are Joel’s techniques for keeping things running smoothly on the road.
ON STAGE: THE SHOW
Performance is about more than just making great music. For deadmau5, your live show’s got to give audiences an experience they’ll never forget.
CLOSING
You’ve made it through the class and learned all types of skills. Now here’s Joel’s advice for how to start putting it to use.

2 Likes

Very honerable of you jonathan to go to such trouble. Nice one!!!
Your either a very bored man with a lot of time on your hands or a very busy man who doesnt sleep lol.
Either way, good work
:beerbang:

?? Dude… I copy pasted the course description from masterclass.com

Were you thinking I wrote all that?

1 Like

Hey, I’ll be taking the Hans Zimmer one when it’s released in a couple weeks. I’ll post what I think when it starts.

Haha!
Yeah i thought you’d bought it, watched it and wrote a review giving a general breakdown on the entire show lol

I watched one. It was really good. The course was about mixing a rock song recorded in a living room. Of course the recording was made by a good recording engineer. Now, the plugins used were all slate digital plugins (which I like a lot).

I would recommend the course. It gave me a lot of tips and tricks and how to listen to a song before starting the mix.

1 Like

I’m going to be taking the Hans Zimmer masterclass.

1 Like