Dark side...done and man am I sick of it

Changed the song all over the place and don’t even know if it is better :slight_smile: Gave me something to do and have a few conversations with friends. thanks yawl

Paul

1 Like

Kinda sounds like a Dokken song that I can’t think of at the moment, but I think you’re in the clear.

1 Like

That would be good news. Didn’t feel like being creative. Thanks for the listen and help

Sincerely

Paul

Yes the progression has been used before… but I think everything possible in terms of chord progression has already been done before ;p so just go ahead and play with it.

1 Like

I figured the chances would be few that it wasn’t already taken. ha ha So hard to be original. I also wonder if ones subconscious takes over. Yes , I will mess with it again tomorrow. thanks much Brian

Sincerely

Paul

There’s a quite a few riffs I’ve heard that are very similar but I can’t think of anything that is EXACTLY like it. You’re not stealing if you find something…you’re just using what you found. I like the direction you’re heading with this song and I like that you’re writing in a style that isn’t your main genre.

1 Like

Since you asked, the first thing that popped into my head was this. I knew it wasn’t exactly the same riff but there is some similarity. The tempo is obviously different, and even if the chords/notes were exactly the same the timing or swing (groove) in a measure is a bit different too. At least this gives you something to compare to.

1 Like

Man Paul, you’ve taken a turn to the dark side.

2 Likes

Hi Yes, I am tired of the same ole thing. Even if there isn’t a demand for this genre, it is interesting and fun to try something completely. I think from now on I am going to start with a blank slate, (and mind) a select a drum pattern, and just start playing and singing. I don’t know where the thought of dark side came from, maybe it could possible be internal. ha ha Thanks for the help once again

Sincerely

Paul

1 Like

There you go Stan. Yup, that is it exactly, from the E chord to Bb-A. That is a ton faster than my track, but in fact it’s highway robbery:) Oh well, I will see if I can disguise that a bit. ha ha
Good catch bud and thanks much

Sincerely

Paul

1 Like

Hi Brian I will do just that “mess with it a bit” :slight_smile: thanks much

sincerely

Paul

Pretty rare (I’d say it’s mathmatically impossible) to come up with any progression that hasn’t already been used in some context, but the originality comes with the combination of that progression/riff with other instruments and melody over the top.
But in reference to this tune, I’m really liking what you’ve started here. I’m really getting into this darker toned stuff you’ve been doing lately. Super cool.

1 Like

Thanks boss. I will go ahead with it now. I have to build in some unpredictability now. Pretty blahhh as it sits. Really hard to get in the right mood to do that vocal. Then when you don’t have the lyrics for the next verse, you never sing it the same way again. I am also going to experiment with another riff that might compliment this one??? good that you came by

Sincerely

Paul

1 Like

Sounding good, Paul - don’t worry if it’s a slight variation on what’s already been done - keep going - I like what you’ve done so far.

2 Likes

Don’t indulge him. We wouldn’t want holster to trip balls on power.

Hi bud Just trying to get something goin. Tonight’s series was a bust, but tomorrow might bring some ideas:) thanks for listening

sincerely

Paul

Ha ha I tip my hat to those running the show. I understand much of what you post, but I had to google this one…

trip balls. (idiomatic, slang) To experience a severe drug-induced hallucinatory trip. quotations

Glad I could teach you something. Now you know.

1 Like

Ha ha I forget so much each day, It’s all new once again. Thanks for the help. I am getting a little further each day. (dark side…demons) I hope I can keep getting feedback so this gets finished. I just put in a wild bridge, then what now. Makes the challenge much more fun. I can’t imagine having a song all planned out ahead of time ?

Sincerely

Paul

I like it still needs some work, but good start for the rough draft.

Side note: the drums could use some panning of the toms’ kic needs some work est…I know this isn’t a mixed version, but for writing demos they could be tightened up a little. Also, try to render at 320 kps it helps with the top end of the sound of recording.

1 Like