Cubase 9?

i have been looking at cubase 9 pro lately as maybe thinking of upgrading from 6.

thing is it looks and seems a lot like logic pro?
if i had a mac i`d probably go logic pro anyway.

i like the new look of the mixer below the project window thats cool (like logic)
and all the tabs there too (again like logic! they surely must have a court case there lol)

is anyone using it?

what are the stock plugins like? any improvenments?

the new sampler looks way cool!

although apart from a rearrange of the project window and logic esq look, i dont see any major breakthroughs that should make me buy it?

please advise…

I believe @BigAlRocks is using it now? I could be wrong though

1 Like

Im using 8.5 but going to 9 Pro in a few weeks. I really like where Cubase is going, There seems to be a lot of work going into the layout and workflow which is good in 8.5 and even better in 9. There are a few new items such as history restore and a nice EQ called Freq… Cause we all need another EQ! :wink: and other items. From Cuabse 6 it may seem a little strange but so much better IMO. Give yourself a few weeks to adjust but its well worth it. Cheers.

1 Like

yeah that history restore thing is whats selling it to me at the moment, the ability to not just undo and redo but go to precise alteration points within a mix session is awesome!

2 Likes

Yeah , the new layout i really which you can change to suit your needs is a big difference from 6. Yes the history thing is handy i found myself saving the song before making some changes that i may not like so i could just close the project if it sucked and select NO to saving it… ha.

1 Like

I am a Cubase 9 Elements user. I upgraded to that from Cubase LE6. I mainly upgraded because I created a new macOS Sierra partition and I want everything to be 64-bit.

1 Like

That does frequency analysis during EQ, doesn’t it? I really need to find time to dig in and play.

1 Like

Agreed on having those restore points… I’m not a Cubase guy but the Izotope Alloy & Ozone plugin sets have the restore point features too. Not the same as restoring the entire session but given how heavily I use those, it’s the next best thing. Has saved my ass many times already!

Yes, the history in the mixer is a great thing. Although it turns out that now you have 2 histories: one for the mixer and one for the project. So it can be a bit confusing at times… I would have loved that they just merge both things. I guess they might do that for C10?
The bottom zone I find a lot less helpful for me as I use 2 screens and one with the project, the other with the mixer. But if you’re using only one, I suppose it’s quite good.
In any case, a jump from 6 is going to make a big difference (but so would be a jump from 6 to 7 or 8).
The look is quite different and you will need to get used to a few things, but overall, once you get the hang of it you will have a hard time using 6 again.

2 Likes

Personally, I think the look and layout are better now.

yes i believe so.

Thanks everyone, i will seriously consider it. Although it also means upgrading my current pc to a new one so will depend on cost.
We will see. Thanks

I’m seriously considering the upgrade from 8.5
I think getting rid of the “hover” zones alone might be worth the price of admission.

The thing that always makes me hesitate is having to reset all my preferences. Why can’t they just carry them forward in the upgrade, like most other software does?

Can’t you find out where your current version stores the preferences, save the fiule and replace the new one once you’ve installed?

1 Like

Yes, I can probably do that, and will probably spend half a day figuring out how, and experimenting until I get it right. Until then I have a new trial install of Cubase9 that I can’t use.

My point was, Steinberg should (and easily could) make this easier for their customers. If they can’t include in the installation program itself a few checkboxes such as “copy prefs/presets/key assignments from previous installation”, they could at least include in the instructions something like “to bring forward prefs from an earlier installation, copy these files **** from these locations **** into this folder ****”

It’s unnecessarily complicated, not something most of us do often enough to remember the details, and easy to screw up.

Have you searched the Steinberg forum to see if anyone else has asked about this?

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/

Have you searched the Steinberg forum to see if anyone else has asked about this?

yes, today, and everytime I’ve updated Cubase (or previously, Nuendo) over the last 12 years.

The point is I have to search. Then then I have to sift through the results. Then experiment and try again. It takes about half a day to get most of it right, then tweak the rest over the next several weeks. It’s a hassle.

1 Like

That’s definitely a valid complaint. I browse the Steinberg forums every couple of weeks and I see lots of people have similar, unresolved complaints.

YAAAAAAAAY! FUCK YEAH!!! WOOOHOOOOOO! - did they finally do it!!??

That sucked serious ass. Had to be the most annoying feature on a DAW. EVER.