Could someone explain "Gobbler" to me? Do I need to use it?

I’m experiencing some hassles with a VST recognizing my license (it’s the Time & Tone Bundle from Plugin Collective).

When I installed it, it initially used an app called “Gobbler” which runs as a VST and somehow links to iLok and tells my plugins they are legit. I don’t understand how it works. I finally got it to work, but it’s a PITA.

Should I just delete it and use the virtual iLok way of registering my plugins? I’m so confused.

Ha, me too. It looks like the company changed from being an audio cloud backup service to a plugin retailer. I used the the audio cloud backup service (kind of like Dropbox for audio and media files) some years ago, but IIRC they went to a dedicated Pro Tools embedded system. That was about the time I moved from Pro Tools to Reaper, and even then my Pro Tools version was too old to include their integration into the newer versions.

I don’t know anything about what they’re doing now, but if their app is running a VST to intermediate with iLok that seems really weird and complicated. Did you buy that particular bundle directly from them?

No, I didn’t buy it, per se. Focusrite has this thing called Plugin Collective: they partner with various companies to offer their products free to owners of Focusrite products. So I got Softube’s Time and Tone Bundle a while ago (https://www.softube.com/tntbundle#/).

It includes their Drawmer S73 Intelligent Master Processor, TSAR-1R Reverb, Saturation Knob (which already was free!), And their Tube Delay (which is clunky and honestly not that impressive). FWIW, the Drawmer thing is pretty usable, as is the reverb. But I digress. :thinking:

But it requires that goofy gobbler thing to install and activate, and link to iLok. Ugh.

1 Like

I have a couple of plugin subscriptions through Gobbler, but I’m using a physical iLok. The Gobbler software crashes literally as soon as I start my computer, but my licenses are on my iLok so it’s never been an issue.

Same here Tez. I think I set it up long ago when I installed the Softube Saturation Knob that came with Studio One. Every now and then “Gobbler” pops up when I sign up for a giveaway with ProduceLikeAPro, I think. Then I encountered it again this year installing the same Time And Tone bundle because I got a Focusrite interface… All of this is to say, “I don’t know” - but thanks for asking, because I’ll be watching to see if anyone does know. :slightly_smiling_face: