Contest Questions and Comments

That’s a good question for @ColdRoomStudio. He should be by here soon(ish)!

I honestly don’t remember, I’ll have to check.

@CosmicSea The song is in the key of A major.

Dang! I would’ve guessed right without checking on an instrument first! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Does one have to be an entrant in the contest in order to bash rough mixes and vote on the finals? I don’t anticipate taking part as a contestant. Thanks!

@Chordwainer feel free to bash my mix.

Feel free to bash rough AND entry mixes (including rating mixes). I’d still recommend entering anyway. It’s a fantastic way to learn. There’s something about spending time on someone else’s material that helps strengthen your own.

2 Likes

Holy crap, who wrote the legal stuff for the contest? LOL. Don’t worry, I don’t plan to sue if I hurt myself in my own studio trying to participate in this contest.

4 Likes

You like that? lol
I was mostly seeing who would even read through all that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@ColdRoomStudio Thx a lot:)

It’s so rough!

What is so “rough” ? Is there something you need help with?

The song has an overall “rough” sound I mean, but still is very musical, with personality clearly.

Yeah, those are among my very favorite kind of songs to mix. It gives a ton of flexibility on the direction you can go with it

Trying hard!

PS: I might be doing something wrong in not correctly quoting the posts I am replying to, hope may solve this soon.

I’m thinking about attempting this… Is it okay to add background synths and replacement/supplemental drums? Also, is there a link to more tunes from the band? I’m curious as to what sound they prefer.

Mae, it’s very easy. Just highlight the text you wish to quote, and you’ll see a little grey box that says “Quote” appear. Click that, and the edit box will open at the bottom of the screen with the text you highlighted properly quoted and the cursor ready for you to start typing your response. Very slick! This site’s functionality is extremely impressive.

Hi Wagz - Pretty much anything’s fair game. No one cares how you cook the meal, only that it tastes great!

One thing to keep in mind though: This is a mix competition, not a remix comp, so my suggestion as a guideline would be to imagine you have the band to answer to for the decisions you make in mixing.

That said, these guys are very open minded when it comes to the mixer coming up with mutes, edits etc to add excitement and interest to the arrangement. They still like it to be very recognisable as the song they recorded, though. To give you an idea of how open they are, compare the multi track files with the final mix they approved (above).

Here is the band’s Bandcamp page to give you an idea of some other stuff they have done:

https://whywait.bandcamp.com

…and here is a link to a thread critiquing the latest song I am mixing for them, to give you an idea of where they are at now: http://indierecordingdepot.com/t/salty-freshly-minted-rock-mix/364/38

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Cool. I might just give this a shot, then. Maybe it will be good to attempt one of these songs to get back into the swing of things. I like ow the guitars sound, BTW.

Hi !
Are we allowed to do some replacement. Don’t really like the kick and snare.