Comes A Time, Neil Young 1978

Comes a Time is the ninth studio album by Canadian singer-songwriter Neil Young, released by Reprise Records in October 1978.

Its songs are written as moralizing discourses on love’s failures and recovering from worldly troubles.

Dedicated to our lovers and peoples looking for love, especially in our troubled world. May the precious love of a child be felt by all peoples.

Choose to love!!!

Feedback is much appreciated.

1 Like

I would suggest that love of children is best protected by those not involved in child trafficking. How about those advocating for ceasing child trafficking, especially at the Mexican border and Ukraine? Let’s start there.

1 Like

I’m not a Neil fan because of his political views, but I am a fan of you. Never heard this one before.
Liked the chord progression. There I said something nice. ha ha Hear a little hoarseness in your vocal for the first time. I so look forward to see you pop in ole friend. carry on

1 Like

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the feedback!
A love from a child is a love free of malice and a love that is true!!!
May we all feel that kind of love, simply pure and just heavenly!!!
Our world is full of stuff that needs attention, and something done for the better is always a good deed, keep 'em moving to the right direction.
Child trafficking is truly an act of greed and heartless, truly inhumane.
Thanks Stan!!!
Rene

1 Like

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your solid support, and wonderful comments!!!
I recorded this song while I am in the middle of my Covid bout.
Quite mild Covid symptoms for me, but the time to get out of the positive cycle is quite long, almost 2 weeks.
Hoarseness is a good description, and I actually recorded a few songs during my Covid illness.

On another note, I am having some technical issue with my recording set-up. After having a Zoom “live guitar performance”, for my brother-in-law, I am experiencing a very weird “feedback problem” in my recording set up. It seems like my microphone is always “On”, and causing my feedback condition. And I could not seem to fix my issue at this time. A true bummer!!!

Maybe, somebody you know, or in this great forum, might have some technical expertise and can help with my problem.

Thank you. And get your studio to 100%!!!
By the way, somebody has to be the bad guy, and address some of our world issues.
Rene

1 Like

Yeah that covid is a nasty creature. My wife still has no taste or smell. In fact, now i think about it, I wonder why she calls me sweetiee. ha ha
There are dudes that are on this site that could help you with your recording set up. Unfortunately I am not one. I struggle on most everything.
My cheapy HP puter for recording grinds continuously. I got more ram today and will try that.
Hope you start coming around. Both of my covids took at least a couple weeks. Hang in there

1 Like

Thanks for understanding Rene! I have felt I was being a bit ‘grumpy’ when making comments on this site, so I took a couple of weeks off during the holidays. I guess I’m still ‘grumpy’. :unamused:
But I agree with you on the “good deed”, and I think that’s really my intention. “Rose Colored Glasses” are nice, but they don’t solve problems.
The continual grind of the ugliness, darkness, sickness, and evil in this world is taking a toll on me. I try to remain positive and hopeful, but that’s difficult when striving to not be ignorant of these things. Someone (a philosopher) once said “Knowledge is power, and Ignorance is bliss.”

Your response led me to recall a passage from Paul the Apostle:
Ephesians 5:11-13

11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light.

I can feel your passion on this song, especially at 2:25 it hit a crescendo. I don’t recall this song, but something about it seems familiar. I used to be a somewhat Neil Young fan, the song “Ohio” still gives me chills, and his work with CSNY I always enjoyed. I’d probably really enjoy your rendition of “Ohio” if you’d give it consideration. It would remind me of J6 most likely … :shushing_face: Like Paul, I no longer agree with Neil’s politics, at one time he was against corporate sponsorship’s (“This Note’s For You”), but now apparently got “woke” and endorses the globalist WEF/Davos agenda (i.e. Pfizer pharmaceuticals, not to mention “climate change”). That was the big public conflict between him/Spotify and Joe Rogan (with guest Dr. Robert Malone).

Your previous comments suggest you have the same disgust with “Fake News Media” as I do. I hope our search for truth can lead us on a similar path of calling out the lies and deception in this world. :pray:

1 Like

Hi Stan,
I really do appreciate the active tracking of political directions of major artists, and this is a very important aspect of society. I am definitely disgusted with the flow of “fake news” in the world today. I cannot believe how people can believe and support some of the obvious “lies” in the news, propagated by “obviously liars”.
I will keep Ohio in my “to do” list, which is really growing, and I am way behind.
Thanks for the solid support and excellent points of views!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

1 Like

I agree. Music is either based on “culture”, or creates culture, or both. And politics is part of culture that we can’t really escape from even if we want to (except by ‘escapism’ :wink:). Although good music can be made that explores other areas of creativity, any form of ‘good’ art makes a statement, and makes us think or feel something.

Right. I like to call them “presstitutes”. :joy: But no matter the source of news or information, the greatest skill to develop is discernment and insight into the source of information and what is being said … rather than blindly accepting the word of “fact-checkers” (frequently paid by lobbyists) and “experts” (according to who?). Most MSM (main-stream media) is corporate conglomerates with high-dollar corporate sponsors, and sometimes nefarious ties to government funding or Council On Foreign Relations (CFR), or other Deep State actors (name 3 letters :roll_eyes:). The collusion of such entities with social media (Big Tech) to control and censor public information has recently been revealed and documented for all to see (“Twitter files” etc), though it has been obvious to some of us for quite some time. The motive is almost always corporate profits, or technocracy power/control at the expense of morals and ethics.
“Caveat emptor.”

Understood. You do a great job of cranking out cover songs at an astounding pace IMO. I’m sure the choices are endless. And I appreciate your understanding of my occasional (frequent?) tangents. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Your comments are so appreciated, my friend!!!
Stay safe and keep healthy!!!
Warm regards,
Rene

1 Like

Hi Paul,
I got lucky, and found a button in my UAD Volt 276/digital converter, that I must have accidentally pushed, causing my feedback issue.
I am so thankful that I was able to fix my recording setup, and back to normal.
How is your studio going?
Warm regards,
Rene

Glad you found the problem. It’s always the little things. I put in 8 more ram but didn’t speed it up at all. I’m just used to my home studio set up.
My daughter is working me 8-10 hours a day. Good news I am done with demolition and the vinyl flooring. I only have four rooms of 3/4 quarter round to do and then some studio work. My son-in-law bought a small battery powered miter saw that should be a help.
I was going to doctor some old songs, but have decided to start with something fresh, however no ideas yet.
Well now that you have your set up back, it’s time for you to fully hear and let loose with your magic. best to you

1 Like

Hi Paul,
I am starting to compile a few recording, and I want to get ahead of my own schedule, as 2023 might bring in a few more extra tasks.
Good luck on your projects, and keep the press.
Always think safety!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

1 Like

Happy 2023, Rene! It’s still January, but I’m getting a slow start. Politics is still a mess, but to quote Neil, don’t let it bring you down, it’s only castles burning…

This recording sounds much better than the last song I reviewed. Maybe that was that accidental button pushing! I try very hard to keep everything set the same, and I have lost the urge to experiment with my audio settings as I will forget how I had set them and why. It is very loud playing back, and I think I might have accidentally set my playback at 100% and too loud on my ears. 66% seems better.

For some reason, the discussion here has made me consider writing a song about seeking/getting advice from the right vs wrong person/s. Health from preachers and politicians and Fox News vs doctors. Etc. I’m sure it’s been done many times before, but I can’t think of any offhand. Lynyrd Skynyrd thought they were being so clever calling out Neil in Sweet Home Alabama, but I wonder who their expert was. Not so clever.

Sure, in the end we all have to reach our own conclusions, but it isn’t easy to not find oneself echoing almost word for word total nonexperts’ soundbytes on many serious issues. Neil was very careful to not do that, and his songs have greater meaning by his doing so.

I particularly like this song, not one of his more political songs to me, but it has lots of heart. You sang it excellently, and your guitar was lovely. I’m getting way behind on listening to all your new stuff, probably missed the entire Christmas album! But I aim to catch up.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback, @steban !!!
Technology is fast and furious in its changes, and I am way behind.
I am quite fortunate that I found my set-up, which is quite simple, as most of my gear are simply analog equipment which are being used in a “live band normal equipment” stuff.
The only “digital” equipment I have is my UAD Volt 2/76 digital converter.
Politics is quite dirty, and messy, and getting to the bottom of the truth can be really tricky.

But as for me, myself, and I, my truth is based on a bare-bones facts in front of me, and with my education, occupation, and basic “right -wrong” assessment (solely derived from my upbringing and experience), no politician can sell me anything, without my “down-to-earth assessment”.

Thank you, again, my friend for your wonderful response!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

Right vs. Wrong can be very subjective. But then again, it can be very concise, given your belief system. The 10 Commandments are pretty concise. :wink: But if you don’t believe in those, you claim “amnesty” and “religious propaganda” (i.e. “atheist”). Morality (Right vs. Wrong) does not come from state sanctioned ‘experts’ and American Medical Association licensed doctors. Those are the most corrupt people IMO. They have a vested interest in the Matrix system that employs them. They are as bad as the Money Changers at The Temple. You don’t need to believe any preacher, or politician, or any news outlet either. Believe only your spiritual source of nourishment, your God given intuition, and your God given immune system - which is superior to any human made/designed/crafted trans-humanist mRNA technology.

That scenario has no ‘expert’ basis whatsoever, so it’s a ‘moot’ argument. It’s only opinions. Neil argues for Negro slaves being defiled by White slave owners. Lynyrd Skynyrd simply says “you are misinformed and ignorant”, and geographically biased (Neil is from Canada, relocated to California). Is there a discussion to be had there? Certainly. But it’s not solidified in eternity by any expert. These things are complex. But MSM will tell you that your Whiteness is evil and you must pay reparations. Ah, those evil White people are so evil …

Humanity has encountered such issues time and time again. It’s not simple, and cannot be reduced to simple MSM talking points. The U.S. repressed Asian immigrants in WWII internment camps. What about reparations for Asian-Americans? What about reparations for Native Americans, who were decimated (genocide) by White European settlers? The list is endless. It’s all political games and power-plays.

Experts will never tell us, or inform us, of what our moral obligations are. Quit giving away your power to those “think tank” eggheads! Decide what you/yourself must do with your life to fulfill your karmic obligations. Once you have done that, we can have a conversation.

1 Like

Rene,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your video: very good guitar playing and singing per usual! :slight_smile: