@ClownPF - How to organize audio, dialogue, and sound effects sessions better

For recording audio books, and short stories, designing templates is often less intuitive to audio engineers because the workflow is drastically different from music recording.

As some of you have noticed, our valued member by the name of @Clownpenis.fart has decided to start recording some rather exciting audio book short stories.

Here are some tips for keeping the workflow for that stuff flexible. I’ll post this so others can refer back it from time to time if need be.

For good practice, start organizing your sessions with various samples organized in the following:

Dialogue - Should be obvious what this is. If you are recording your own dialogue, I would arm and record onto the actual dialogue track, using take folders, then flattening and merging as you go along.

Music - Also obvious what this is. But if you’re not importing a pre-recorded excerpt, compose in a separate session and then import into your dub session.

Backgrounds - This is ambience that enhances a scene by giving context to the environment. So street noise, machines rumble in a factory, children chatting in the backgrounds at a public park, air conditioner rumble in a living room etc…

Sound effects - These are one-off hits that are NOT part of a background but a specific element interactive to a scene. So a window being broken, footsteps, gunshots, water being splashed, woosh from a ball being thrown etc… This differs from background noise as it defines an EVENT. Not a PLACE.

Futz - A futz track is track where you store processed dialogue. For example, a phone call, someone talking from on the other side of a wall, a voice emanating from inside of a computer…The purpose is you can process the daylights out of the sample, without cluttering up the processing chain for your natural/organic dialogue. If you have a character like Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, or Bain (from Batman), you want the processing on a dialogue track, not the dialogue on a futz track.

Storage - I keep a few tracks handy for temporary storage so I can shovel audio clips in and out of the way when I’m trying to decide where to place them.

Foley - Foley tracks are sound effects that are custom designed for a specific session. Its more necessary in film than in audio books, but if you create anything, I would keep it on a separate track, because the processing to that particular effect will likely be more intensive than a sound effect you import from a pre-made sample library.

…and I also use Soundminer Pro for tagging, editing, retrieving, and instantiating audio effects from inside my databases.

Have fun!!!

1 Like

You posted some good info about workflow, but do you really do all that for an audiobook? Most audiobooks, even fiction, are pretty much straight narration and dialog. Few have all that other stuff going on IMO. Character voices are done by the narrator during the read, with subtle changes in voice and tone suggesting the different character voices. You’ll typically want to have a “room tone” track (similar to background but innocuous) so that edits don’t sound clunky, but only for something really dramatic would you have music and sound effects going on behind the narrator’s voice. And it would probably have to be all through the story or it would sound weird, and that’s a lot of extra production work. That’s my understanding anyway. If you have done this on some audiobooks it would be interesting to know why they wanted it done that way.

For short stories it might be a bit more feasible, but for long form audiobooks I’m a bit skeptical in most cases.

Call it a cinematic podcast? A radio story? A picture less shortfilm? …I don’t even know what to call it. He’s basically using cinematic sound effects to tell a story without the picture. Look at some of the stuff he posted in the Bash this Recording lately…he’s basically putting cinematic material with dialogue, SFX, backgrounds, and music into an audio only deliverable. But he’s not making an advertisement or a trailer. He’s actually telling a story with sound effects lol. I think what he’s doing is pretty cool.

OK, it makes sense in that context. I wouldn’t call it an audiobook, because audiobooks are (almost) always based on a book that was published and sold reasonably well as a book first. What CPF is doing might be more like an “audiodrama”?

Ah! Thanks. The word I was looking for.

I recorded some audiobooks for my kids for christmas. It’s surprisingly hard to keep it all organized well, even for short books. I can only imagine how much work goes into a full length podcast with sound effects and whatnot.

An assload.

1 Like

o my… the squishing sound as he walks on eyeballs… the dreadfully awesome puns… this brightened my day thanks!
Now… what sound effect would you use for walking on eyeball feet? I am an avid pupil…
heh…
I’m currently working on some reasonably insane kids stories and have been making sounds for a very nasty bright coloured bird that eats people so this feels quite relevant for me!

Maybe you can incorporate a suicidal/homicidal man whose body is made entirely of eyeballs