Chord track in Cubase

I haven’t explored the Chord Track in Cubase before, until I watched this video…

So now I spent a couple of hours trying to understand it, and I made good progress.
Insight Number A: I can plonk away on a piano track and record something really abstract - and tell Cubase to created the chord symbols and chuck them into the chord track…

Insight Number B: Then I can assign the chord track to my “violin ensemble” track, for instance - and watch the violin players in the computer trying to keep up with what I played on the piano…

Insight Number C: Finally, I can drag the chord symbols onto another midi track, for instance “Cellos Sordino” and then the notes of that chord appear on that track. I can then glue all the little chord boxes together and go into the midi file and remove some stuff, to make it sound more real, then adjust the CC parameters…

You can also start with creating the chords in the chord track, and using the Circle of Fifth display to populate the boxes where you’ve said chord changes will take place…

I might have a go at constructing a tune in this way… quite a lot of fun…

S

3 Likes

I’ll be curious to see what you think as you spend more time with it!