Canticle - Instrumental guitar music with an EDM flavor

I was inspired by a book I read recently and wanted to write this. I wanted to get the feel of a video game where you have to move quickly, but you’re still having a good time. Any thoughts on the writing, playing and mixing? I found it was a bit hard to get this right as I was trying to mix 2 genres together. Anything I should change?

Low pitched snare version

3rd try with different snare

3 Likes

I like this, very well done. The only thing I find stood out to me was the snare. My guess is that it is supposed to sound like an electronic snare? it just sounds too high pitched to me, so the entire time all I could really hear was the snare. I don’t know, I am listing again and I am trying to figure out what it is. Maybe it’s just the snare is really “busy” sounding. Great tune, brilliant composition.

There’s a lot to like here @Chandler, good guitar sounds and good playing. The overall sound is expansive with a kind of cinematic feel to it which is attractive so I’d say the mix is fine.

I guess the two genres are rock guitar and EDM? You’re good with the rock aspect but I’m not sure about EDM, partly because I don’t really follow it. You have a slightly eccentric drum machine sounding riff going which I don’t think of as really EDM. I don’t think it really supports the song as is either. Maybe some changes would help?

Oh and what’s the book?

Thanks. I changed up the snare, but maybe I went too far. Hopefully it is better.

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to do a drum and bass style thing with the drums, not really the type of EDM that is really popular now. I tried changing the snare up, but I don’t know if that helped.

Anyway, the book is called “The Sunlit man” by Brandon Sanderson. It is a really interesting fantasy book connected to Sanderson’s Cosmere Universe.

1 Like

Sounds great, the guitar performance is the tits! There’s really nothing I could add that wouldn’t be completely subjective. I do prefer the original snare sound though with a bit more top-end bite/crack, second iteration feels a bit more ‘tubby’.
Very cool.

1 Like

That was actually pretty darn cool. Made me think of some style of retro-adventure game soundtrack. I think I prefer the original snare more than the adjusted one. The adjusted one is a little too boxy/thumpy. The guitar parts are outstanding. Very nice work.

1 Like

Thanks. I changed the snare again. This one is more like the first, but with more low end. I appriciate the feedback.

1 Like

I was actually going for the game style vibe. I switched up the snare a bit and I hope it sounds better. Thanks for the help.