Can't sync drums from old cakewalk to studio one

So I recorded a song maybe 5 years ago when I was using a cakewalk program. I copied all the stems and imported them into studio one. I don’t like the drums and thought that EZdrummer would sync to the 100 bpm, but no luck. EZ has a feature that you can disable that and type in 100. That doesn’t work either. I tried changing the bpm to 100 in S1 and it got really ugly. :slight_smile: I see that the lines in S1 don’t even line up with the note spikes. I started making up my own drum beats, but after an hour at it, I got pissed and hung it up for the night. I kinda like the song and if I have to I will continue making a drum track. the one I had previously selected had a double kick all the way thru and it was driving me crazy.(back when I was dumber) I have a good electronic drum set I could use, but I would need some practice, ha ha this is not life or death folks

Sincerely

Paul

So are you saying you want to change the BPM? If you used stems, then I don’t think it would work. You’d need midi files to change the BPM without slowing down or speeding up the track. If you import stem files you wouldn’t be able to change it. You wouldn’t happen to still have the MIDI would you?

Was the original song played to a click or perfectly timed fake midi drums? Are you sure it was 100 bpm? If the song is the same tempo all the way through there’s gotta be a way to line it up to the grid in studio one and ezdrummer.

Hi When I copied the tracks in cakewalk, I noticed it said it was 100 bpm. I can’t remember if I used a physical drum machine or drum samples at that time. I play all the instruments, so most tracks aren’t midi. I don’t use midi, but I guess the drums would be considered. I have to admit I am very backward when it comes to anything midi-ish. When I take a blank EZ drummer format, it always is first set up at 120 bpm. I am going to try to start another EZ project, set it to 100, and then import the stems. That is something I can do for the moment. I have lots of time. thank you for your help

sincerely

Paul

Jc Yeah, there must be something I can do. You can read the other post. Thanks much

sincerely

Paul

If the project you origionally recorded was all played live then it doesnt matter what tempo the daw says it was.
Unless you have something like a synth or dum module midi’d in to that bpm then you could be playing any tempo.
Just beacuse the daw is recording at 100bpm doesnt mean your player ng at 100bpm unless you played to the daws click track?

I’d just line up the drum sample with the audio and keep alternating the bpm of the drum track till it matches the song. But this could be difficult if you played life and not a strict bpm.

You can use a tool to ‘extract midi hots from audio’ this will give you a midi track tempo’d to the audio for you to add your druk samples to

Hi I went back to the original tracks and I see that I put in two drum tracks recorded from my boss drum machine. So, the song does follow a distinct 100 beat. I went back and opened a new track in Ez.
I imported only the drum track from the song. I did not line up in any way, even after dragging it about. I played the click track with the drums and not even close. I’m not frustrated, this is typical for me. ha ha
I started making my own track now by taking each hit (kick, snare) and placing them where they match up with one of those drum tracks. It will take a few hours, but I’m retired and have no time issues. I do like the sounds of EZ ten times better than the boss machine however.

Thanks for your input, I knew I was in way over my head trying this

Sincerely

Paul

Just a follow up. I used the DR770 drum machine and hooked it directly to my studio one interface. I kept messing with different rates until I got a perfect match at 123 bpm…I would never use such a frequency, but in fact I am now finishing the song. going to post it to get some feedback on the sound quality. Kinda fun going back to the way I used to do it. Also not using EZ, so now the song loads in about five seconds. ha ha

Sincerely

Paul