Can hear radio stations when trying to record?

Hey everyone! I’ve been recording for a while in my home, but as of recently, I’ve been running into an issue:

I have been hearing radio stations when I’m all set up and ready to record, with my microphones hot. I have deducted that whenever I plug in any CONDENSER microphones to any preamps I have, I can slightly hear the radio stations. I can max the gain (not recommended) and hear the stations more accurately (given the additional static that I hear).

I have done the following:

• Used a different power outlet
  • Switched using different XLR cables
  • Tried seeing if it would happen on my dynamic mics (result: It did not happen)
  • Using different preamps (Apogee Duet 2) (Behringer UMC 1820)

The condenser microphones I’m using is the Blue™ Bluebird & Warm Audio WA-14. I have the same issue on both microphones.

The audio that I have attached is exactly what I hear.

Does anyone else have this issue?

• J.C.

I’ve run into this quite a bit in my own house. For sure!

Regarding switching outlets… If you switch to a different outlet that is on the SAME circuit, then you’ll have the same issues. Make sure you’re on a different circuit.
The short answer is that your home wiring is basically functioning as a big antenna. Improving the grounding can usually resolve the issue.

I had a buddy whose guitar amp picked up Spanish radio stations whenever he used to play up near the Canadian border. That’s range!

1 Like

You might want to check your AC plugs with a plug tester and see if you have a third wire with a ground stake outside the house, just for starters.

1 Like

If you are using a laptop, try disconnecting the power supply and running only on the battery.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

Let me add some more information that might be helpful:

• A few weeks ago, my Blue Microphone was having that issue when I was recording a client.
  • YESTERDAY, I got the Warm Audio Microphone in the mail, and when I tried it, I figured that all my condenser mics were shot.

• I JUST tried my Blue Microphone again, and it’s no longer having that issue anymore (wtf, amirite?)

• I bought a Power Conditioner to try to eliminate any noise from my power situation, but to no avail.

I feel that it might be the Warm Audio Microphone that I just got in the mail that started this train ride of confusion for me. After doing some research, I’ve heard that it’s 80% likely that this issue is caused by power / electricity involved in the setup, 10% likely that it’s the type of cables that you’re using, and 5% likely that it’s the circuitry inside the microphone. The last 5% is likely to be an external source causing the issue (nearby radio stations or industrial communication equipment). I could be wrong with the stats, but that’s all I could muster from reading old forum pages from Google results.

All in all, I found another microphone that I’d like to try to and am planning on returning this product. It’s not a bad product, I just didn’t get a good first impression. It’s too bad, too, cuz I like the design.

Cheers!

• J.C.

That’s crazy!

I’ve tried this, and unfortunately, did not have any luck. :frowning:

1 Like

That audio file you attached could make a nice intro to a hard rock song though… :blush: