By-pass update and question on how to compress natural sounding drums (or not)

Hi everyone. Last post was a few days before my by-pass operation. The operation went fine, and now I’m on the the long and slow road to recovery. I feel like 94 instead of 64. I’m able to move about the house a bit, but get tired very quickly.
Anyway, I have little to do but some reading, watching You Tube and listening music. But I now realise that in my hasty everyday existance I barely take the time to listen. Not like I did when I was 20 anyway. Now I have more time I listen to the production and the mix with a lot more attention than I would otherwise.
Right now I was listening to one of my favorites from recent years (meaning the last 20 years or so…): Ryan Adams (no not Brian Adams). He does a lot of Americana (for lack of a better description I guess). Very acoustic, but a complete band. Very relaxed. It’s a sound I would love to achieve in my own music, but which I can’t seem to reach.
So if you have any hints and ideas, I’d love to hear your ideas. An example would be how do you process organic sounding drums? Not al all, very subtle upward compressions to get the levels right? Or is it much more compressed than it sounds to me?
Here’s an example (but could be anything from Wild Horses by the Stones to Neil Youngs Harvest album): ‘When the stars go blue’ by Ryan Adams

1 Like

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Take care of yourself.

Hi bud Yes you will feel fragile for a couple of weeks. Seriously, your heart is still strong and has so many years added to it. It’s just a pump that had an overhaul of sorts. Get the long and slow recovery out of your head right now. You can’t just sit around unless your doc told you to. That would be weird.
It might feel like baby steps, but you will go back to your “normal” life with even more confidence. I can fix anything, but I had to let someone else fix me and that was the hardest part.
As far as the acoustic sound, I will go now and listen. (I forgot already) recently I have been throwing in a bit of electric guitar with my acoustic tracks. The PRS/gibby tracks are so much easier to tame. Acoustic guitars take up so much space. chin up ole boy, you got a new lease on life

1 Like