Bought for €3 at a thrift store

I have a trusty Zoom H2, which I’ve had over 20 years and I love. Browsing through my local recycle store I found this in a box full of broken equipment. I took it home and as I couldn’t switch it on promptly opened it up to see what damage I could fix. It turns out I’m a dumb arse and just didn’t know how to switch it on. Suffice it to say it switched on with a fresh set of batteries and works just fine.

Does anybody have any experience with this thing?

Good find! If I remember correctly, the mics in those are actually pretty decent. How’d it do when you tried it? And those are 16-bit, correct?

I didn’t get to try it out yet, but according to its specs sheet:

44.1k/48k/96k Hz, 16/24-bit

I actually noticed it in the box because it has 2 XLR connections at the bottom and that’s all I could see sticking out in the box. I’ve got a recording session coming up where I have to record a choir in a school gym (the greatest acoustics!) and I was trying to figure out how I could set up a number of mics easily. This might be a great thing to take along and record on

Just an update - did a quick recording with the built in Mics - and apart from a little noise the quality is really nice. I wouldn’t use it for interviews but for a choir, or location recording I think it would be really good. Will try out some external mics as well and see if the preamps in this thing are any good.

2 Likes